Police Speed Detection Cars?

Associate
Can speed camera vans catch you while 'they' are driving towards you?

The simple answer is 'Yes'. Police cars in Australia have cameras and a pod trapped between the rear passenger window and frame. They can clock you going in either direction. The stationary vans can also get your though their smoked rear window. They dont require a hatch or curtain covering the open doorway. This means that can sit in the van with the aircon running.

I dont believe any of this technology is currently used in the UK however, so you are probably safe

Soldato
Yeah, be afraid the boogermans will get you :mad:

thats why i always keep plastic sheeting, tape, an axe and shovel in the boot of the car... never know whey you are going to have to dispose of potential murderer... as my granny used to say... "they aint dioing no more murdering once they are 6 foot under"

Soldato
Hi,

I was driving in a 40 mph area this morning, probably a bit faster than I should have been , when I saw what appeared to be two quick 'flashes' in the lower windscreen of an approaching vehicle.

As it passed me, it gave two short sharp 'hoots', which I assumed were intended for me.

So far as I could see it was a fairly small white car, with no markings and no obvious blue lights or anything like that.

Could I possibly have been 'clocked', and if so could I be liable for prosecution?

Thanks.

It depends entirely on what car you were driving.

Most photo camera flashes flash twice, first time for red-eye reduction. It's more likely someone simply took a photo of your car.

Man of Honour
I've been flashed a few times by oncoming marked police cars on the opposite side of the road before, nothing came of it. Can't imagine an unmarked car resulting in anything more than that either?

Soldato
why does someone need to 'man the camera' it's not an F15.

Because the mobile camera is only supposed to be allowed to target cars they make a reasonable estimate are speeding in the first place, they're not supposed to just ping every car they see.

Back
Top Bottom