The Militaria Thread: Collecting and Identification

Soldato
OP
Can you imagine a situation where you need a saw back bayonet? Mental.

This is a bayonet meant for engineers, artillerymen and pioneers. The saw cuts wood quite well, and even better if it's fixed to the rifle while you're sawing away. It does look rather terrifying. :)

I imagine anyone surrendering with such a weapon as the saw bayonet would risk being shot on sight though.

There is a well-known story from World War Two regarding this as the Germans had a saw-back seitengewehr - if the Allies caught a German soldier with a saw-back, he was shot on sight (or worse). Most Germans ground off the saw teeth, apparently.

Soldato
Some upcoming deactivation changes implemented by the EU:

• Weld the slide stop.
  • Prevent disassembly of polymer frame pistols by welding.
  • Weld the trigger mechanism together and, if possible, with the frame.
  • Weld the magazine with spots on the frame.
  • If the magazine is missing, place spots of weld in the magazine location or fix a lock to permanently prevent the insertion of a magazine.

Soldato
OP
A genuine M1911? I always thought they were aesthetically perfect-looking.

I have two swords to update the thread with soon. :) :) :)

Associate
some older stuff I have.
1943 Mosin 91/30
1944 Mosin M44
1958 Romanian SKS
Romanian WASR 10 AK47
all have hundreds if not thousands of rounds through them by me. tons of fun
also have a polish P64 I need to get pics of.
luckily I bought surplus ammo for the 7.62x39 and 7.62x54r when it was cheap
1120 rounds of 7.62x39 crates for 250 bucks and 880 round crates of 7.62x54r for 89 bucks
moisintwins.jpg

Romanian_sks_1958.jpg

as it came from the importer
akwood1.jpg

after putting some nice russian red wood on it
akwood5.jpg

Man of Honour
God those bayonets freak me out.. More than the guns actually. Can you imagine getting poked with one of those. I saw a documentary recently where some guys were digging for artifacts in a German trench system. One chap found a Mosin bayonet and spent some time describing it. He suggested that because it was a Russian bayonet in a German trench it was highly likely that it had been used in anger, in that very trench. It is logical to surmise. I didn't know this but they are not your typical 'pokey' bayonet shape; they are designed to inflict the most damage and shaped with that in mind. Must have been awful :(

Love that FG42! Must be very rare indeed.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
why shoot them over a bayonet? one of the british APC has a device for making tea on the back of it I think

It was probably one of those instances of rumour and animosity leading to actions. Saw-backed bayonets have been in use since the mid-1800s, at least, so they weren't a new thing by the time of the First World War. How many Germans were captured with a saw-back and summarily shot is unlikely to be known.

Do you guys actually get to display these in cabinets, hanging on walls or do they spend their lives locked away in wardrobes, etc?

I have the odd sabre up high around the house and two old deactivated bolt-actions secured on a wall in a rear room. Even though the objects are entirely harmless, I do everything I can to keep them out of view of the public and I take the rifles down when we have certain guests. My favourite edged weapons are on my 'war shelf' in my bedroom but the majority is locked away.

Man of Honour
I have the odd sabre up high around the house and two old deactivated bolt-actions secured on a wall in a rear room. Even though the objects are entirely harmless, I do everything I can to keep them out of view of the public and I take the rifles down when we have certain guests. My favourite edged weapons are on my 'war shelf' in my bedroom but the majority is locked away.

Any special insurance for your collection or just covered by house contents?

Back
Top Bottom