The Militaria Thread: Collecting and Identification

Soldato
The Militaria Thread: Pointy Stuff and Shooty Stuff

Hello chaps!

Being the manliest of men, here and there, bits and pieces of militaria, both modern and antique, can be found floating around our board, so I thought it'd be a dash good show if it was all collected into one handy package. So, in this thread, please post:

• Any items of noteworthy militaria you come across on your travels.
  • Details of your collections, if you have any.
  • Replicas, swords, ancient weapons, bombs, bullets, tanks - anything welcome.
  • Items you've found or inherited that you would like help identifying.

You get the idea! I have a small but growing collection of militaria dating from 1822 onwards: some edged weaponry, bullets, kit. Why collect this stuff? If you love history there is nothing - nothing - that comes close to owning, looking after and researching real items. Read all the books you want, watch all the TV shows you like; it's only when you pick up this stuff and turn it over in your hands that you can be transported back in time and, to some extent, understand what people had to endure. Secondly, money is a factor. They aren't making any more of this stuff and the price is rising steadily as the items in circulation slowly dwindle. I've seen items double in price in the last few years alone, and I know of people who consider their collections to be their pensions.

So, to kick off, here’s my M1891/30 Mosin Nagant.

B6PZS88l.jpg

This was the main rifle used by the Russian infantry during the Second World War. This particular piece is dated 1936 and has been well used (with the date, it is enough to make me think it was used in anger). It’s covered with little markings and stamps – the meanings of most of which the Russians still haven’t released to us, but I can tell that it was made at the Ishevsk Armoury. It’s a long rifle, and heavy too – I’d hate to have to carry it around for extended periods. It must also have been near suicide to use it in the desperate house-to-house, floor-to-floor fighting of Stalingrad, and so on: you simply can’t wield it at all in close confines. This gun was replaced by the AK47, in the main.

tuZ34OGl.jpg
7XFMe9rl.jpg

This particular rifle is deactivated to the standards set out in UK law. The bolt’s action works nicely, it can be cocked and it can be fully stripped, but the barrel and chamber are welded closed and the bolt head is cut. You only need to be 18 years old or over to own it.

10YAsRtl.jpg
mUXK9A3l.jpg

This is what it used to fire: 7.62x54r. As you can see, the cartridges were inserted into a five-round charger clip (stripper clip if you’re American), to make for faster reloading.

The bayonet is cruciform in shape and flat at the tip. It can be used to unscrew the two screws needed to field strip the whole rifle – Soviet simplicity at work!

TMtBSG6l.jpg
yLaY2lXl.jpg

Any questions are welcome. I'll post other bits and bobs as the thread gets going, along with their history. Does anyone else have anything to post?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Subscribed.

Where did you get the Mosin and how much did you pay?

There are lots of dealers online with all kinds of stuff, from medals to tanks! I think I paid £175 for my Mosin, which was a pretty good price. The vendor was Jaybe Militaria down in Horsham.

Have you seen the show Combat Dealers on Quest channel? Mainly about military vehicle restoration and the "star" thinks he is Ray Winstone.

I've seen one episode. It was fun, but very American in its editing.

Edorf can we have some links to sites (info/buying) that are useful to collectors?

Sure! What kinds of things are you interested in?

Man of Honour
Get your sword out then!

no pork swords though! :p

my flat mate goes to all the military fairs and has got loads of decommissioned guns (with certificates to show they are decommissioned/legal. 20-30 at a guess), he's got one of those with the bayonet you show in the OP

EDIT: he said he has 2 of the ones in the OP, ones a sniper version and has 4 Mosin's all together

Last edited:
Soldato
Details of your collections, if you have any.

True collectors would be horrified, but most of the US Infantry kit I had for WW2 Living History is original and pretty good condition... and there I was, rolling around in the mud with it!!

It's all in storage, as I've sort-of given the hobby up, though.

Underboss
I have a WW1 shell head that I bought when I was on a War Walk in Belgium back in 1996. Currently being used as a paperweight at work - would love to find out what it actually is.

Will post a picture of it tomorrow.

Soldato
OP
True collectors would be horrified, but most of the US Infantry kit I had for WW2 Living History is original and pretty good condition... and there I was, rolling around in the mud with it!!

It's all in storage, as I've sort-of given the hobby up, though.

Blimey! Would love to see it. :)

Just wondering where you would start looking for Napoleonic weapons/memorabilia?

There's plenty of that in the myriad online dealers but it's all much more expensive than more recent stuff. If you're after weaponry, a good condition Brown Bess or a Baker Rifle (my all-time favourite piece) are many thousands of pounds. Replicas can be had from a couple of hundred pounds upwards.

The main swords of the time are all iconic. The 1796 patterns of heavy cavalry sabre (the fictional Richard Sharpe's blade), light cavalry sabre, infantry officer's spadroon (rather elegant, but useless) are more obtainable, but they are still hundreds of pounds.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The police gun club has a Mosin Nagant. It is a beast to fire and leaves lovely bruising but I'm told it is utterly reliable and put many a Nazi into an early grave during WW2.

I have no doubts about that: it's a very robust, simple and extremely cheap to manufacture firearm - exactly what the Soviets needed when equipping their huge, often uneducated, hastily-assembled conscript army during WWII. Despite all that, it was still accurate and I've read accounts of German snipers swapping their 98k for Mosins where convenient.

Soldato
I have pictures but I cant post them :(

was "abroad" recently and got a look at some "militaria" :D

RPK's, AK's of all different types, LOTS of SMLE's, SVD, RPG tubes, a G3, mosin nagant, PPSh-41, oldest was a martini-henry (which had been there since it was standard issue!)

Last edited:
Caporegime
I have pictures but I cant post them :(

was "abroad" recently and got a look at some "militaria" :D

RPK's, AK's of all different types, LOTS of SMLE's, SVD, RPG tubes, a G3, mosin nagant, PPSh-41, oldest was a martini-henry (which had been there since it was standard issue!)

Did you enjoy the training camp?

Back
Top Bottom