Russia visa

Soldato
Has anyone transited through Russia and is familiar with the visa requirements?

As my layover is 15 hours, I fancy heading into Moscow for a little nose around. Can't seem to find any definitive answer on whether I'm covered by the on arrival 72 hour visa, and can leave the airport with this, or if I would need a tourist visa? my tickets are booked under my UK passport, although I could possibly change this to travel as a kiwi if it makes a difference!

Will obviously phone up the relevant office tomorrow and check, but just wondered if anyone could advice in the meantime.

Soldato
Has anyone transited through Russia and is familiar with the visa requirements?

As my layover is 15 hours, I fancy heading into Moscow for a little nose around. Can't seem to find any definitive answer on whether I'm covered by the on arrival 72 hour visa, and can leave the airport with this, or if I would need a tourist visa? my tickets are booked under my UK passport, although I could possibly change this to travel as a kiwi if it makes a difference!

Will obviously phone up the relevant office tomorrow and check, but just wondered if anyone could advice in the meantime.

You will be fine to go land side on a tourist visa as you hold a British passport. The 72 hour visa will also allow you to exit land side. Moscow Domodeveo airport is huge. Exit central and turn left for the train departure platform to Moscow. The train journey is 1hr 30 minutes. When you arrive you will either have to journey into central Moscow by taxi or tram. If you can read and speak Russian travel by tram. Only use yellow official taxi and ensure you agree the price prior to travel.

I would advice you not to change visa to kiwi as this will not allow you to exit landside. Ensure you carry your passport with you at all times as the police/ security services can stop you and ask for documentation.

Use a credit card to make purchases as the exchange rate is excellent. Use cash (roubles) for taxi ect. Cash points available on the 1st floor at Domodeveo (Serberbank)

http://www.domodedovo.ru/en/main/getting/1/aero/

Train return ticket 900r (UK £1 = 110r)

If you have sterling you will get a better exchange rate.

Enjoy a beautiful country :D

Last edited:
Soldato
I've not heard of the 72 hour entry visa so you'd better check the status of that otherwise a single entry tourist visa will do you.

The train runs to Paveletskaya every 30 mins and takes 45 mins (not 1.5hrs), I'm not sure if it runs all night so best check (aeroexpress). If going by taxi the drive to town can take anything from 1 hour to 4 hours dependent on time of day (traffic sucks!). I suggest you download the Gett taxi app https://appsto.re/gb/6ftZA.i) if u plan to travel around central Moscow (and if u don't feel confident using the metro), as the journey will be metered and you can choose to pay by card through the app or in cash and generally won't wait longer than 10 mins for a pickup. Taxi to airport with Gett will be a fixed price. The metro is busy and safe to use but personally I chose never to use it after 11pm.

You won't need to go on trams. From Paveletskaya either take a Gett taxi or continue in to the metro. Metro will be quickest but obviously u don't see much underground (although some stations are very impressive). It's an easy trip to the centre although keep a track of how many stops u've done as the station names are not so easy to locate from within the carriages. This is the metro app for iPhone Yandex.Metro by Yandex LLC https://appsto.re/gb/t8Mzx.i (also available on android).

The sights are quite spread out so depending on what you want to see try to plan the day in advance.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Great help, thanks everyone.

Went and got the visa sorted today, picking up tomorrow. Not cheap at £125 each for a few hours exploring Moscow, but will beat a whole day sitting around in the airport!

Caporegime
From dme you want the aeroexpress to paveletskaya. Runs 6am-12pm every 30mins and takes 45mins. Think it's 500rub now each way (contactless payment)

Metro isn't too bad to use and very cheap. Most stations have English now but not all.

Awesome city.

Back
Top Bottom