Which 140mm Fans for Radiator?

Man of Honour
Since downsizing from a 700d to a 650d I was forced to use a 140.2 rad.

Why? The 650 will take both 120 and 140 rad sizes? I doubt you are getting better performance from a 120.2 with decent fans on that 140.2 at least that has been my experience.

Associate
Noise is certainly subjective, unfortunately this is going to be one of the hardest things to get a sense of without trying.

I appreciate all the real world usage comments, thanks everyone. These Scythe GTs still mystify me though :) I am in no doubt that there must be something to them as so many recommend them, but I don't understand why the tech data doesn't even come close to resembling that. E.g. running them at 1000 rpm the tech data implies they will be average, or at least comparable to others.

Heres a good comparative review: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums...-Fan-Testing-on-a-HWlabs-SR1-Radiator-Round-7 which is summarised on Martins web site here

Heres my suggestion, don't get a 2x140 rad for the roof of the Corsair. Get a 2x120 rad and Scythe GT 1850's. The case has the holes for both and you will get much better performance from the 120 rad with the GT's

Unfortunately I'd seen that review and he doesn't address static pressure which is a shame. Good selection though. See my above confusion re: GTs; can anyone explain this?! :)

Soldato
Why? The 650 will take both 120 and 140 rad sizes? I doubt you are getting better performance from a 120.2 with decent fans on that 140.2 at least that has been my experience.

Agreed - one would automatically assume a 140.2 rad would be better than a 120.2 one - hence one learns from ones mistakes :(

Associate
OP
OP, would be interested in how your setup is performing for you? Is it as expected? If 1.38 works on a 30 FPI radiator I may well go for the Aerocools (1.07) on my target 8.5 FPI radiator, hopefully they would be as quiet as the 120mm versions.

It's my first watercooling setup, so I'm not speaking from great experience. But I'm quite happy how much air the Bitfenix fans seem to pull through the rad. 8 fpi can't be much of an obstruction, I wouldn't have thought you'd need to worry too much. I will try to update when I get the right up and running properly. Still building it at the moment.

I really considered going for the 120.2 rad. But on paper it makes sense to go for the larger 140.2 rad. And I feel it suits the top of the 650d case well. The 120 looks too small and has a ton of open vents around it. The 140 fills that gap better, and looks like it should be there. I'll hopefully have good positive case pressure that will aid the larger rad instead of letting air escape around around it.

Associate
Thanks, would be interested to hear how it goes. I think I'm going with the Aerocool Sharks for now, they're cheap and I have experience of the 120mm versions. As you say, the radiator I'm looking at should be ok with these.

Back
Top Bottom