gigabyte z170x designare

Caporegime
Just wondering if anyone on here has this board and what their impressions are of it, seems reviews on it are only in foreign languages at the minute.

Associate
I'd actually be interest too. Been tempted to pull the trigger on it myself.

One thing I'd like clarified about it too:

The lower tier GamingX one has a firmware update to support Thunderbolt 3 through its USB 3.1 port (T3 being 32 Gb/s, to USB 3.1's 10 Gb/s).

Now the Designare appears to be just an upgraded GamingX, but I can't find any information on it having the same Thunderbolt compatibility. It would be stupid if a higher end board lacked a feature of its lower-tier counterpart.

Associate
I think they hold off marketing the thunderbolt 3 until it's been certified. It was a couple of months after launch before the GA-X99P-SLI was highlighted with thunderbolt 3.

If you look on the website, the z170x designare has the "Thunderbolt Driver" in the drivers downloads.

I've just built a rig with the x99 designare motherboard which was launched the same time, and I have the thunderbolt drivers running. (Just need more products to be released for Thunderbolt 3)

Caporegime
OP
Got one of these boards and its a bit of a headscratcher with some options.

It seems as if the fan headers only engage when theres a 4 pin connection attached to them, i had my corsair aio hooked to the cpu header and it was hitting in the 90c range til i just used a molex to 3 pin fitting. The bios has a smartfan setting where you can set a graph just like in afterburner, so far though no luck in getting this to work, my fans either spin at 1200rpm or they don't spin at all for the aio. :confused:

Some of the sata ports also seem to be linked to a driver that can only be installed during the windows install where you have to link it to a file, right now i had windows on an m.2 drive, my games on a 1tb ssd and my 512ssd while connected doesn't appear in my computer or disk manager, presumably its on one of the ports that require that driver (which i forgot to install).

Bit of an oddball setup to be fair, i'm really unsure if some of these functions such as fans are actually linked to needing a 4 pin connector or theres something wonky going on with the board.

Associate
Hello everybody as it's my 1st post, I've got gigabyte z170x designare with i7 6700k and system is on Samsung M.2 ssd PM951 512GB. I know - PM951 is in ugly green but not in mine. I've made heat-sink in black with polished edges - it looks way better and does the job!

Back
Top Bottom