Cannot seem to select USB as boot device?

Soldato
Just done a build based round an Asrock 990FX Extreme9 Mobo but for some reason I do not seem to be able to select USB as a boot device.

It just isn't available as an option on the pop down menu in the UEFI bios.

(Also, the mouse pointer doesn't seem to work properly in the UEFI menus, I do not know how to describe it really, but it moves but not over the whole screen, it sort of sticks over the selection buttons and snaps back to them as soon as I stop moving the mouse (It is a USB track ball, I have not tried a PS2 mouse, If I can find one I might try this) but this is less of a problem since I can use keystrokes instead)

I have updated to the latest BIOS (March this year) and have a clean load of Win 10 (Done from a DVD ISO) and everything else is working just fine.

I cant believe that anything is faulty as such, but I am curious as to what is going on and how I might resolve it? :confused:

Associate
I have the same problem with my main gaming mouse with my Asus P8Z68-V m/b, it will only travel on the bottom half of the screen on the bios opening screen, if I want to use a mouse to do more I have to plug in another std mouse which work fine.
I never worked out why
I don't know about using a usb device to boot from, I beleive you have to press a function key whilst booting to get that option as it doesn't show in the bois

Last edited:
Soldato
Ive had the mouse issues on USB 3 mobo's before when using USB3 slots, obviously in Windows it wont make a difference, but I have seen similar bios issues / WinPE issues when a usb 3 driver isnt loaded.

In regards to boot issues, I would suggest there may be general settings to select what you can and cant boot from in the bios - outside the UEFI section (I have seen even recent mobo's where there are two or three areas which all come together for the boot menu/ options)

Associate
After having had another google for it, try booting to your bios with the usb device already pugged in it might detect it then and show it as an option to boot from

tnx

tnx

Associate
How did you format the USB drive and load the Windows files onto it.
Just formatting the drive will not make it bootable.

I prefer using Command Prompt but there are one or two tools out there to do the job, Rufus being one of them.

Back
Top Bottom