Best Dual LGA 1366 Mobo?

Soldato
Hi Guys

I have managed to get a couple of Xeon X5660's

They are 2.8 GHz (3.2 Turbo) 6 Core 12 Thread with 12mb cache (95 W)

I've also manage to get 144 GB of ECC Memory (18 x 8GB) 1333Mhz DDR3.

Can anyone recommend a good motherboard for these CPU's?

Ideally I'd like to use 128 GB of the memory (64-96 gig might be alright if options are limited). Also need at least 1 PCIEx16 Slot. Not fussed about missing SataM2/USB3 - as I doubt mobo's of this vintage will have these features, and I can get add in cards for these.

Cheers!

Soldato
OP
Sounds like an interesting project! What're you doing with the hardware?

Will end up being my main PC, so mostly development work - heavily reliant on virtualization for automation and testing, occasional bit of gaming too.

Long overdue an upgrade for my PC:
i5-750 2.67 GHz (Lynfield!), 8 GB RAM, GTX 970, Antec 620W PSU, 250GB SSD 6Gbps, plus other assorted drives and stuff. Will be keeping what I can from current PC.

Also have a server I'll be binning following this, so it'll be the only machine in my office.

Biggest issue is probably going to be that my current PC is quiet and compact, fits under my desk etc. That's not going to be the case after this kind of rebuild, as I'll need to get a larger case for an E-ATX mobo.

Permabanned
The Rampage Extreme 2 with waterblocks on mosfets and NB/SB. I had this running fully stable a 930 cpu at 4.4ghz rock solid in prime, IBT, Linx and Occt way back in 2010. Hard board to get but one of the best alongside the ultra rare rampage 3 black.

I still have the waterblocks to this day or the R2E

Soldato
OP
The Rampage Extreme 2 with waterblocks on mosfets and NB/SB. I had this running fully stable a 930 cpu at 4.4ghz rock solid in prime, IBT, Linx and Occt way back in 2010. Hard board to get but one of the best alongside the ultra rare rampage 3 black.

I still have the waterblocks to this day or the R2E

Were they available with dual Xeon support do you know?

Soldato
That's an interesting find. I've got two 1366 Xeon 5540’s sitting on my desk doing nothing. Picked them off eBay for £20 intending to use them on an HP dual socket mobo. Turned out that it was a custom HP design so I didn't take it any further. I might now.

Keep us updated with the project!

Soldato
OP
That's an interesting find. I've got two 1366 Xeon 5540’s sitting on my desk doing nothing. Picked them off eBay for £20 intending to use them on an HP dual socket mobo. Turned out that it was a custom HP design so I didn't take it any further. I might now.

Keep us updated with the project!

Will do! I was planning on upgrading my system with new parts, but to get anywhere near the power of thing I'm building you'd probably looking at costs around £1500 at least.

Just a new Xeon E5-2620 with 64GB DDR4 and a decent Mobo would have been nearly a grand alone.

Soldato
OP
I did come across the SR2 in my research, but they seem quite rare (understandably!) - found one that looked quite heavily abused, was over £150!

I will keep an eye out for a good SR2 or a HP Z800 workstation board for a future (slight) upgrade - possibly. There's also a few good Intel and Asus WS boards that would be better in some ways than what I've gone for - all of them add at least one PCIEx16 slot, rather than the PCIEx8 in a x16 slot like on the board I've chosen.

Soldato
It was the Z800 boards that I was looking at myself a few months back. Be aware that the power connector is proprietary though you can get an adapter. I also think that the mounting holes are in non standard positions. Nothing hugely drastic but it was enough to put me off. A crying shame as the boards were available for £80 at the time.

Soldato
OP
It was the Z800 boards that I was looking at myself a few months back. Be aware that the power connector is proprietary though you can get an adapter. I also think that the mounting holes are in non standard positions. Nothing hugely drastic but it was enough to put me off. A crying shame as the boards were available for £80 at the time.

Yeah the holes are non standard, and PSU as well as you say.

Apparently you also have to be quite careful of the revision you pick if you want to support the later Xeons on 1366 as well.

Cheap, 18 DIMMs, and PCIEx16 though....

Back
Top Bottom