Asus Maximus lll Ranger motherboard owners only question..

Soldato
Been trying to update my bios the last 8 months no joy, keep getting error "selected file is not a proper bios", so im thinking it may be my 3 usb sticks are the problem, sticks i have are below, can any of you Ranger guys tell me exactly what usb you use to update your bios, size/make usb 2/3 etc, better still, a exact link to the one you have would be great, cheers

Sandisk Cruzer Blade 8GB USB 2.0
Kingston Technology DataTraveler DTSE9 G2 16GB USB 3.0
Unamed USB Key Ring 2GB USB 2.0 i think not 3.0

Associate
Probably a very silly question, but are you sure you've got the BIOS version for the correct revision of your motherboard?

Soldato
OP
Probably a very silly question, but are you sure you've got the BIOS version for the correct revision of your motherboard?

Yes, i have made probably 100 posts about my problem all over the web, tripled checked bios version etc, tried like 3 different ways to update bios, flashback the lot, i think its my usb pens i have that are wrong, so would like to buy a usb stick that i know works 100% on the Ranger.

Associate
That does sound strange. Three different USB sticks not working would tend to indicate a different issue. Have you tried a different port, e.g. a USB 2.0 one?

I've never flashed my Ranger VII, but my previous Gigabyte board would only seem to flash from a USB 2.0 port.

I also can't recall if the USB stick needs to be formatted in particular way.

Soldato
OP
Use bios flashback on that board. Rename the file to M8R.cap in the correct usb port. Hold down the button let in run several mins. Done.

I have tried flashback, and renamed bios file, when i first got my motherboard to update to newest bios at the time, but when i held the button down the light did not start flashing like it should, but i left stick in for like 10 minutes just in case, and still nothing, thats when i started trying otherways to flash with no success, im thinking its deffo my usb sticks, should thouse sticks i have be ok, what stick would you recommend, thx

Soldato
OP
That does sound strange. Three different USB sticks not working would tend to indicate a different issue. Have you tried a different port, e.g. a USB 2.0 one?

I've never flashed my Ranger VII, but my previous Gigabyte board would only seem to flash from a USB 2.0 port.

I also can't recall if the USB stick needs to be formatted in particular way.

Been building PC's for like 15 years, and flashed many a time, i tried all usb 3 and 2 ports, i only want to update to get the skylake intel fix FLCK 800 problem, otherwise i would not be bothering, as PC been stable the last 8 months.

Soldato
OP
I wouldn't normally suggest this but seeing the problems you are having with usb sticks have you tried using the EZ update facility which is a part of AI Suite?

I have thought about it yes, but not tried yet, i do have AI suite and see the option where you can update boot logo or bios, is there a high chance of it messing my board up ? or does it work well ? am i also right in thinking i only need to rename bios files i download if using flashback, and all other ways you just leave bios file name alone.

Associate
Been building PC's for like 15 years, and flashed many a time, i tried all usb 3 and 2 ports, i only want to update to get the skylake intel fix FLCK 800 problem, otherwise i would not be bothering, as PC been stable the last 8 months.

Understand, wasn't trying to question your ability - I just know how frustrating these things can be when you've already tried 50 different things :).

Soldato
OP
Understand, wasn't trying to question your ability - I just know how frustrating these things can be when you've already tried 50 different things :).

Yeh i know you was not, i wrote my reply a bit wrong, just did not want people to think i was a PC noob :) and yes PC stuff can be the most frustrating thing in the world, so much can go wrong.

Man of Honour
I have thought about it yes, but not tried yet, i do have AI suite and see the option where you can update boot logo or bios, is there a high chance of it messing my board up ? or does it work well ? am i also right in thinking i only need to rename bios files i download if using flashback, and all other ways you just leave bios file name alone.

Flashing the bios using windows software is probably the highest chance of something going wrong which is why I don't usually recommend it. The good news though is that should something go wrong I believe that all Asus boards use easily replaceable bios chips that you can buy on ebay with the latest bios flashed to it.

Soldato
OP
Flashing the bios using windows software is probably the highest chance of something going wrong which is why I don't usually recommend it. The good news though is that should something go wrong I believe that all Asus boards use easily replaceable bios chips that you can buy on ebay with the latest bios flashed to it.

Oh, that is good news about the replaceable bios chips, maybe easier for me to just buy one and pop it in, will have a look, cheers

Soldato
OP

I have since checked about this, and yes i can get a pre programmed bios chip that i just push in, no soldering, but would that deactivate my windows 10 install ? i dont think it would, but i know MS ties the motherboards to your key now.

Man of Honour
All the new chip will have is the latest bios so it shouldn't deactivate Windows. It's not as if you are swapping the board for a new one. If it did deactivate all you need to do is phone them up and tell them that all you have done is update the motherboards bios and they should activate for you. It really shouldn't be a problem though.

Back
Top Bottom