BTCC 2015

Caporegime
GP2 solved the issue by having the point for fastest lap only awarded if the driver who set it was in the top 10 or something.

There was always the risk people would play the rules to get a good Race 2 start if they didn't get a good Qualifying, and its proved to be the case.

Caporegime
It's simple, you have to start from the grid and your qualifying time has to be a certain percentage within the lead lap to be eligible - to stop people from deliberately backing off and fudging it.

Soldato
It does appear to have a hole in it you can get a touring car through, although that might be accidentally on purpose. It's a gamble the bigger teams appear willing to take if they're likely to finish in the minor places or outside the points.

If you limit the eligible cars then they'll just implement a different strategy. If they want to take a no-score and gamble say the 3 points lost for a potential podium in the next race then let them at it I say. We've had the similar with the reverse grid in the past. Top driver aims to get 6th and banks the minimum 5th place start for Race 3 knowing they are likely to bank a podium from it.

Caporegime
It's simple, you have to start from the grid and your qualifying time has to be a certain percentage within the lead lap to be eligible - to stop people from deliberately backing off and fudging it.

Hmm.. I was writing a post about how this was a good idea, but then realised its not that simple.

How do you differenciate between someone whos starting from the pits because they had an issue in Qualifying and someone whos doing it on purpose to get a good Race 2 slot? You don't want a situation where having a problem ruins 2 out of 3 races.

The more I think about it the less I think there is a solution that uses Race 1 lap times?

Perhaps they should have 2 qualifying sessions, one on each set of tyres, and use that for the grids of race 1 and 2?

Soldato
Perhaps they should have 2 qualifying sessions, one on each set of tyres, and use that for the grids of race 1 and 2?

Having seen the tyres post qualifying - they'd need more sets of tyres. That would be a cost problem for the lower order teams, even if the rules were amended to allow it.

Another option is the Clio cup solution. Fastest lap sets the grid for Race one, second fastest lap sets the grid for Race two.

Caporegime
Hmm.. I was writing a post about how this was a good idea, but then realised its not that simple.

How do you differenciate between someone whos starting from the pits because they had an issue in Qualifying and someone whos doing it on purpose to get a good Race 2 slot? You don't want a situation where having a problem ruins 2 out of 3 races.

They'll be at the back of the grid so could drop back and set a lap if they wanted, no harm done. I think starting from the pits by choice is utterly stupid.

IMG_3290 by Bryan Janes, on Flickr

IMG_2895 by Bryan Janes, on Flickr

IMG_3392 by Bryan Janes, on Flickr

Couldn't ask for better weather, Plato not winning the championship was the icing on the cake.

Last edited:
Caporegime
How would you tell those starting from the pits on purpose from those doing it because they had issues? You wouldn't want to exclude people from qualifying well in race 2 through no fault of their own?

I agree its a problem that needs sorting. Getting a competitive advantage by deliberately doing badly is utterly backwards.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom