Race of Champions

Man of Honour
I never get a kick from the indoor track at Autosports, this seems turgid to me :(

Each to their own, but that looks rubbish.

Soldato
I never get a kick from the indoor track at Autosports, this seems turgid to me :(

Each to their own, but that looks rubbish.

I'm forced to agree. The whole thing looked very amateurish and boring to be honest. Hardly any crowds on Friday and far from full on Saturday didn't help and there seemed to be virtually no atmosphere. Removal of the bridge was an idiotic decision which has resulted in an incredibly boring track.

The choice of cars also needed work. Only road car was the Merc wasn't it? Presumably due to sponsorship nonsense. Why no rally cars? Karts? And what on earth was that huge NASCAR-type thing doing there on such a tiny track?

I might have popped in had I been in London but, if I'd gone down just to see that, I'd have been seriously ****** off.

Soldato
Nope. Granted my comments are based on watching it on TV and the atmosphere there may have been much better but frankly, having watched it on TV this year, I have no compulsion to go and see it live in the future.

Caporegime
There most definitely was an atmosphere, as there always is when you put thousands of Motorsport fans together (all be it a bit stiffled by being minus a billion). The stadium tracks are always a bit slow but your confined in space. But if you spread them out over a larger track you then lose the stadium atmosphere.

The Mercedes was crap. Too big, too sensible, too quiet. The most exciting cars are the ROC buggies, and the EuroNASCARS are good fun too as they slide and drift and sound amazing.

The loss of the bridge is a shame, but given that the track layout was released very late, and that they have to have ripped the whole thing up and completely cleared the stadium by midnight tonight I'm convinced it was due to not being allowed or not having time.

There was meant to be Karting, but it never happened. It was a very late addition and some Reddit threads suggest it was because they didn't have enough of the tecpro barriers on site (the outside wall was all concrete, which wouldn't have to worked for Karting).

The stadium is also a lot smaller in real life than it looks on TV. The bottom rows of seats were blanked off because if a car went off, that's where they would land! Plus being down that low would have meant you couldn't have seen over the other side of the track.

TV certainly sterilises the event a bit, its much better actually being there. But yesterday wasn't without its moments of disappointment and failure in organisation, especially for something that costs as much as it did. If the tickets were cheaper it would be better. I enjoyed it and had a great day with my family, but won't be queing up to throw £50+ at it again next year.

Soldato
I was surprised actually as it didn't look like the seats had been rolled back into the athletics configuration of the stadium, would have given them a lot more room. Presumably they weren't allowed to stick the tarmac down on the running track.

Was a good day out (my skiing thermals, hat and gloves came in very useful!), disappointing there was no karting but as it was such a late edition it wasn't the only reason I went anyway. For the £40 a ticket I paid it was worth it, I would never in a million years pay the £160 the top priced tickets cost though.

Caporegime
It's in the process of being converted into a football stadium, so those pushed forward seats are staying. They wouldn't have been able to remove them from the Rugby configuration, build the track, and then put them back by midnight tonight. The athletics layout would provide a lot more space your right.

Caporegime
Yeah we were the same. I'm not a football or rugby fan so haven't really been to many (perhaps any) stadiums like that before. The TV really makes it look bigger.

Edit: A photo without the widening effect of panorama:

Last edited:
Soldato
There was an atmosphere, especially when button was on (briefly) and in the finals.

It was totally ameturish, bus in the way, pyrotechnics going off on the wrong lap..

The NASCAR's were awesome, so nice a noise and wholly unsuitable, perfect choice.

Could have done with more cars, some 488s maybe. The Radical was the most impressive car.

Back
Top Bottom