BTCC 2015

Associate
Yup, used to be a mindless hater about the quality of the racing but it's won me over the last couple of years. (the large grids helped too!)

Also looking forward to the MSV Formula races if they're being shown within the BTCC ITV4 coverage.

Associate
OP
Brands is my closest but I'm off to Sweden just after so I need to save my money for that. I'll hope to be at the season finale but I do prefer the Indy layout as you can see everything. Usually I enter the Dunlop comps. So far I've won twice. I think expecting a 3rd win in 4 years maybe asking a little too much!

Looks like the Super Touring Cars will be at Rockingham this year. I did enjoy seeing them on TV last season.

Soldato
I used to go to Donington every year back when the yellow and blue Lagunas, Frank Biela in the unbeatable Audi and the Volvo 850 estate were running around. I turned off a few years ago when most of the manufacturers pulled out. It's worth watching again now is it?

Caporegime
It has more manufacturers and cars than ever. I think they hit over 30 entries at one point last year.

The racing is brilliantly entertaining and it comes as part of a full day of racing with a great support race package (excluding the Porsches).

Definitely worth watching.

Soldato
Absolutely brilliant racing - will be at Brands for the opener.

The support classes are decent, but a couple of the grids were a little sparse last year (Porsche & Formula) - at least certainly at the finale.

Caporegime
What even is the single seater series now? It used to be Formula Renault 2.0 UK didn't it? But the timetable now just says "MSA Formula"?

The Porsches can die for all I care, they just don't work for the type of racing the BTCC weekend is built for (short, frantic sprints), but I do like watching a junior single seater series so it would be a shame to lose that.

Ginetta Juniors are always good for a giggle, especially the season opener at Brands. Its not a case of guessing if there will be a first corner crash, more a case of guessing how many of them will :)

Caporegime
I have to admit I was pondering that, so just wrote 'Formula.' I believe the series this year is a new one designed to amalgamate several due to small fields, but whether that'll work or not is anyone's guess. I think there were only 9 cars at the finale last year.

Edit: Looks like it'll be Formula Ford, sort of... http://www.britishformulaford.co.uk/series-info/msaformula/

Looks like a sort of Formula 4/Formula Ford hybrid. If it gets decent grid sizes then its a good thing.

Edit: There are 32 spaces on the 'Drivers' page, with 12 teams purchasing chassis! Yipes.

Caporegime
Don't always see it due to length of the day or is spread over.
But with f1 the way it is I may record the show and watch it during the week.

One benefit vs f1. I won't see the result splashed over TV or have someone tell me

Definitely would like to go to one for pics this year, talked about it last year

Caporegime
al4x, there's usually a BTCC races only rerun on the Tuesday or Wednesday after, which will save you having to scan through a 6 hour program to find them.

Associate
OP
Another options is to look at the timetable that's published on the main site then tune in to itv4 or an hour later on itv4+1. They run mostly on time. Lots of testing going on at the mo but we won't get a timed test till media day on the 24th at donnington. I can see the MGs wanting to send a statement.

Caporegime
I used to go to Donington every year back when the yellow and blue Lagunas, Frank Biela in the unbeatable Audi and the Volvo 850 estate were running around. I turned off a few years ago when most of the manufacturers pulled out. It's worth watching again now is it?

Yeah, I had no interest in the series when it was BTC spec cars and then S2000 but the NGTC rules have been successful and you have a field full of different cars and engines. For the last few years the title has always been decided on the last round which makes it all the more exciting.

Soldato
I'll try and watch out for it. It's not going to be easy with me being in the US and all. Still ITV4, right?

Also, I had a look through some old programs a few months ago and saw some familiar names in the support races - Kimi Raikonnen, Jenson Button, Dan Wheldon. It felt a bit strange knowing I'd seen them racing and had no idea what they'd go on to achieve.

Back
Top Bottom