Russian Grand Prix 2015, Sochi - Race 15/19

Man of Honour
5G01MD9.png

Sochi

The Sochi circuit, located in the Black Sea resort of the same name, is the first purpose-built Formula One facility in Russia and hosted the country's inaugural Grand Prix in October 2014, in the same year that the city also stages the Winter Olympics.

Sochi's Formula One relationship formally began in October 2010, when an agreement to host a Grand Prix was signed between race promoters OJSC Center Omega and the Formula One group of companies, with the support of the Russian government and in the presence of Vladimir Putin.

Construction of the 5.848-kilometre, 55,000-capacity circuit came under the design supervision of renowned architect Hermann Tilke. The track is integrated into the Olympic Park infrastructure, with facilities located in close vicinity to the Olympic Park railway station and to the roads which connect the Olympic venues with Sochi International Airport.

The track width varies from 13 metres at its narrowest point to 15 metres at the start-finish line. The circuit, which runs in a clockwise direction, consists of 12 right- and six left-hand corners, and combines both high-speed and technical sections. On their first visit to the track, Formula One cars reached 332 km/h on the 650-metre straight between the first and second turns, with Lewis Hamilton averaging 213 km/h as he claimed pole for Mercedes.

"It's an amazing feeling to come to this beautiful place and to race on this track," Hamilton said. "It's got really good grip and great corners, with a lot at medium speed; it's good fun."

Tilke added: "It is a fantastic facility with a great atmosphere. I am very optimistic about the future of the unique racing track in Sochi."

TV Times

Sky:
ylgtrnK.png

BBC:
[to be added]

Track Diagram & Information

05XuWv0.png

Weather Forecast

wtfRvi8.png

2014 Onboard Lap

http://www.formula1.com/content/fom...Russia_2014_-_Lewis_Hamilton_onboard_lap.html

2014 Race Edit

Russia Preview Quotes

http://www.formula1.com/content/fom-website/en/latest/headlines/2015/10/russia-preview-quotes.html

WDC Standings

d5hAvbR.png

Constructors' Championship Standings

fgQaxhZ.png

Pole Positions & Winners Per Grand Prix

VTbz9xx.png

Practice 1

guc2cup.png

Practice 2

2i99KQ2.png

Practice 3

NPddXOZ.png

Qualifying

pQSkxoK.png

Race

ScbpSfR.png

Last edited:
Caporegime
Meh, Sochi. Really can't find the energy to dredge up any care about this track.

Looks like they may have changed the pit entry from that track layout? Wasn't it before turn 18 last year?

Soldato
The race I least enjoy, although the racing is marginally better than Monaco. Bernie and Putin's love-in at the debut race last year has set the tone for years to come I think.

I wish the drivers would be honest and vocal. It is a **** track in the middle of nowhere built out of a car park. we'll get in, get the job done and **** off as soon as we can afterwards.

Caporegime
As others have said, no chance of tire issues in general unless the track has weathered very abnormally. That is an outside possibility, if the Ruskies bodged the track surface and it weathers worse than other tracks it could crack up or something though we'd likely have heard about it by now.

Merc are great on all the tires, it's only one or two tracks that the car isn't quite on it. I never quite get that, people call Mclaren or RBR a great chassis because it's awesome at 3 tracks a year and has major drawbacks at 10 or more other tracks. What people should say is, they've gone for a high downforce design, that is part of the design choice. designing a car that is weak at only 2-3 tracks a year and a complete beast everywhere else is a better chassis. More downforce is just more downforce, limiting your car design to be optimal in 10% of races is pretty stupid.

Anyway, I actually like the track, it's got some great wide long turns that encourage passing. The race only sucked because Rosberg screwed up the start and Hamilton had absolutely no threat after the first corner and only to people who care about the win. Me, if there is one pass in a race it's a crap race, doesn't matter if it changes who wins or changes who comes 10th to me. If there is decent action again to me it doesn't matter if it's for the win or for 10th place. The track has a lot of areas that encourage overtaking into breaking zones and through corners.

This track I think with the say 2012/13 cars and a much more competitive grid I think could produce an awesome race. Hopefully next year will see several teams competing at the front with RBR/Ferrari closer to Merc and Renault/TR fighting with Williams every race. 2017 I think could see a genuinely very competitive year. 16/17 will make or break the track. If it gets a run with competitive cars I think it might turn into a great race with constant action.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Lauda stating the asphalt surface caused anomalies with the tyre performance last year and he expects it to be hard for Merc this year.

Probably just trolling tho :p

Back
Top Bottom