City Run (the Skynet POGS) 10th place 5 300 728 credits
Cross Country (PrimeGrid) 12th place 50 670 899 credits
Swimming (Universe) 11th place 6 084 333 credits
Sprint (Rosetta) 15th place 480 680 credits

PDW

PDW

Associate
I still had over 600 Universe WU's pending validation this morning :eek:

12th position is a good result but I think I might need to get some more cores for next year :D

Top ten sounds good :D:D

Associate
Training? see fire=pour water on it, sorted your training now get back to crunching :)

Haha you wouldn't believe this but after one week I still haven't even seen a fire yet !

Moved Midas to attic to try get some sneeky work done while I'm away ;)

I also have a new toy... Signed Kickstarter Backer Edition Oculus Rift

4mjksLbl.jpg.png

Soldato
OP
Boinc Pentathlon - final ceremony
https://www.seti-germany.de/forum/content/392-BOINC-Pentathlon-2016-Final-Ceremony

12. OcUK - Overclockers UK (10-12-15-11-12) – Previous year: 19th Place
OcUK too dabbled in it last year but got properly started this year. Compared to last year, an obvious improvement enabled them to stay with the leading field. The slip-up at the Sprint would have been what denied them a better rank in the end. However, a solid and good Pentathlon for the Brits.

About sums it up perfectly.

Associate
I'm waiting to hear the explanation why CSG was chosen the Marathon project when 7 other projects had more votes with no explanation for skipping over. 3 projects with more votes got explained... There is supposed to be clarity and they have not provided that. I also am not happy that they didn't follow what they claimed they would do and that was move on to the next voted project if one was not ready. Again in this case CSG was not ready on day one.

Associate
Oh it's water under the bridge but for the record, CSG SubsetSum seems to perform much better on AMD CPUs and also performs very well on ARM processors. Any team heavily weighted with AMD CPUs and androids would do very well on the Marathon this year :) Have they provided the projects votes?

Last edited:

PDW

PDW

Associate
I'm waiting to hear the explanation why CSG was chosen the Marathon project when 7 other projects had more votes with no explanation for skipping over. 3 projects with more votes got explained... There is supposed to be clarity and they have not provided that. I also am not happy that they didn't follow what they claimed they would do and that was move on to the next voted project if one was not ready. Again in this case CSG was not ready on day one.

The Marathon project is chosen by the organizers (and there is no mention of it having to have had the most votes) according to their rules...

https://www.seti-germany.de/boinc_pentathlon/25_en_Disciplines.html

Oh it's water under the bridge but for the record, CSG SubsetSum seems to perform much better on AMD CPUs and also performs very well on ARM processors. Any team heavily weighted with AMD CPUs and androids would do very well on the Marathon this year :) Have they provided the projects votes?

The voting was revealed after the 5th discipline was announced...

List of project suggestions:

15 votes for theSkyNet POGS [⇒ chosen for City Run] (Anguillian Pirates, BOINC.Italy, BOINC@Pfalz, Crunching@EVGA, L'Alliance Francophone, LITOMYSL, ngb:setiteam, OcUK - Overclockers UK, Overclock.net, Planet 3DNow!, SETI.Germany, TeAm AnandTech, Team China, The Scottish Boinc Team, TitanesDC)
11 votes for Collatz Conjecture* (BOINC@MIXI, BOINC@Pfalz, BOINCstats, L'Alliance Francophone, LITOMYSL, Overclock.net, SETI.USA, SETIKAH@KOREA, TeAm AnandTech, Team China, UK BOINC Team)
11 votes for POEM@HOME* (Anguillian Pirates, BOINC.Italy, BOINC@MIXI, Crunching@EVGA, Crystal Dream, Gridcoin, Planet 3DNow!, SETI.Germany, Team 2ch, The Scottish Boinc Team, [H]ard|OCP)
11 votes for Universe@home [⇒ chosen for Swimming] (Anguillian Pirates, BOINC Confederation, BOINC.Italy, BOINC@Poland, Gridcoin, Meisterkuehler.de Team, Overclock.net, Rechenkraft.net, SETI.USA, The Scottish Boinc Team, Ukraine)
10 votes for Asteroids@home* (AMD Users, BOINC@Poland, Crystal Dream, LITOMYSL, OcUK - Overclockers UK, Planet 3DNow!, Russia Team, SETIKAH@KOREA, TeAm AnandTech, TitanesDC)
9 votes for PrimeGrid [⇒ chosen for Cross Country] (BOINC@MIXI, BOINC@Pfalz, BOINCstats, Czech National Team, Rechenkraft.net, SETI.USA, Team 2ch, TeAm AnandTech, UK BOINC Team)
9 votes for Rosetta@home [⇒ chosen for Sprint] (BOINC@Poland, Czech National Team, L'Alliance Francophone, Planet 3DNow!, SETI.Germany, Team 2ch, TitanesDC, Ukraine, [H]ard|OCP)
8 votes for MilkyWay@home (BOINC.Italy, Crunching@EVGA, Crystal Dream, Raccoon Lovers, Russia Team, Team China, UK BOINC Team, Ukraine)
6 votes for Cosmology@Home (Anguillian Pirates, OcUK - Overclockers UK, Raccoon Lovers, Russia Team, SETI.USA, The Scottish Boinc Team)
6 votes for SETI@home (BOINC@MIXI, ngb:setiteam, Raccoon Lovers, SETIKAH@KOREA, Team 2ch, Team China)
6 votes for SRBase (AMD Users, BOINC Confederation, BOINCstats, Czech National Team, L'Alliance Francophone, Meisterkuehler.de Team)
5 votes for Enigma@Home (BOINC Confederation, BOINC@Poland, Meisterkuehler.de Team, ngb:setiteam, SETIKAH@KOREA)
4 votes for Moo! Wrapper (AMD Users, Meisterkuehler.de Team, Overclock.net, Raccoon Lovers)
3 votes for ATLAS@Home (Gridcoin, OcUK - Overclockers UK, Rechenkraft.net)
3 votes for Citizen Science Grid [Marathon] (AMD Users, BOINC@Pfalz, SETI.Germany)
3 votes for DENIS@Home (BOINC Confederation, Crunching@EVGA, Ukraine)
3 votes for GPUGRID (TitanesDC, UK BOINC Team, [H]ard|OCP)
3 votes for NumberFields@home (Gridcoin, LITOMYSL, [H]ard|OCP)
2 votes for SAT@home (Crystal Dream, Russia Team)
2 votes for vLHCathome (BOINCstats, Rechenkraft.net)
1 vote for NFS@Home (Czech National Team)

* The project administrator of Collatz Conjecture is on vacation during the Pentathlon and recommended not to run a discipline at his project while the server is unattended. According to its administrator, new workunits for POEM@HOME's GPU application are based on the reported results, hence new work cannot be loaded on demand in case it has run dry. Therefore, Rosetta@home is the Sprint project (Quorum 1). Because Asteroids@home was on an open-ended maintenance break at the time the projects were chosen, PrimeGrid is the Cross Country project.

I was just disappointed that there was no DNA work from CSG as I'd left most machines on Windows specifically for that :rolleyes:

Associate
Yeah, they didn't follow their own rules. this takes away from the competition in my book. It devalues peoples votes. Especially when they didn't take warnings in the beginning serious. The point in showing the votes was for transparency as it has been alluded in the past of potential bias to favor SG. In my opinion, they have detracted from the competition in this manner. They 1: Didn't follow the voting rules and 2: Didn't honor their stance on projects not ready for the competition to move on to the next highest voted. What really sucks is that the first project (CSG) wasn't even the highest voted. The voting process is worthless at this point.

Am I angry? A little. And it has nothing to do with my teams performance. It has to do with making things fair and following the rules. CSG getting a slow delay eliminates one of my least favorite parts of the Pentathlon and that was bunkering.

I take that back. The Marathon was to be chosen by the organizers. So, the voting still mattered. I just feel it was poorly chosen and the promise of moving to the next best option wasn't followed through on still.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom