Spec me an HTPC/Small footprint ATX case

Soldato
Hi all,

I've finally finished renovations and have been able to pull my PC out of the garage and into the lounge. My issue is, I now need to replace my large Silverstone Raven case with one that'll fit my AV unit, as I no longer have a desk.

I'd prefer not to have to change my ATX motherboard for a smaller one, since I'm happy with the systems performance and funds are tight, but I appreciate I'm bound by the laws of physics. The components I have to fit are as follows:

Asus P8Z68-V Pro/Gen 3 (Skt 1155)
i5 2500k
Gelid Tranquilo cooler
Corsair Vengeance LP 4x 4Gb
Gainward 580GTX 3Gb Phantom
Corsair RM750 modular PSU
Crucial M4 128Gb SSD
2Tb HDD
BluRay drive

I'm considering the Fractal Node 605 or the Silverstone Grandia GD08 as they'll fit nicely in my Ikea Besta units and match my AV Receiver.

I have a budget of £200-250, to allow for a lower profile CPU cooler, extra fans to compensate the tighter airflow, and/or a newer SSD (or maybe an extra storage drive if the M4 is still decent).

I understand that a Micro-ATX or even ITX motherboard would greatly increase my case choice, but that would require a complete new barebones build, which simply isn't possible at the moment.

I'm open to other suggestions - the key factors are:
Fitting the above components.
No deeper than 400mm or wider than 600mm.
Preferably black.
Decent cooling.
Easy installation.

Many thanks for your time.

Soldato
I just recommended this is another thread lol, but check out the COOLTEK W2. Dimensions are 385 x 278 x 395mm. Excellent case too, cool, very easy to build in, and looks great, especially with the new glass side panel it has. Comes in Black or Silver. :)

Soldato
OP
I've seen that Jansbo case - whilst it looks fantastic, I've read mixed reviews regarding cooling and GPU placement with more than one HDD in place.

I'm leaning towards the Silverstone, as I've been impressed by the Raven I currently own, matches my existing AV kit and it looks like it'll give me plenty of room for components and extra fans if needed.

If anyone's got alternatives for fitting an ATX based gaming rig inside an HTPC enclosure, I'd love to hear from you or see some pics.

Soldato
I've seen that Jansbo case - whilst it looks fantastic, I've read mixed reviews regarding cooling and GPU placement with more than one HDD in place.

I'm leaning towards the Silverstone, as I've been impressed by the Raven I currently own, matches my existing AV kit and it looks like it'll give me plenty of room for components and extra fans if needed.

If anyone's got alternatives for fitting an ATX based gaming rig inside an HTPC enclosure, I'd love to hear from you or see some pics.

I had ZERO issues with cooling in mine, and I had 3 hard drives, (x2 SSD's and an HDD). There are plenty of options for fan placement and it's super easy to build in with the dual chamber design, and that feature also helps with the cooling by virtue of the fact you can have everything behind the motherboard, having all your main components in a clutter/cable free space. No case is perfect, you will always find criticisms that make you question a purchase... it's like that one negative Amazon review which makes you think twice about buying, despite the 99% positive ones. The W2 will cool better than any HTPC, there's just nowhere near the amount of space available in those.

Soldato
OP
You've convinced me, Legend. With Corsair agreeing to replace my PSU under warranty today, I'm on the way to getting my lounge finished after nearly 2 years!

Back
Top Bottom