Asus PG278Q vs. PG279Q

Associate
Hi

I have been looking for a new 1440p monitor with Gsync, as I'm planning om getting the gtx 1080.

Turns out there's a sale tonight at scandinavian store Komplett.dk (I'm a Dane), both models with about 10% discount.

I have a Dell u2312hm IPS monitor - So it would make sense to go for the IPS model, as I'm used to good colors and viewing angles, but I have read quite a lot about problems with the ASUS IPS display.

So i can't really decide if I should try the TN panel instead?

What would you guys recommend?

Soldato
a lot of people are very happy with the 279Q. I have an old Dell U2412M (16:10).

I found the glow horrible, the panel uniformity and luminance very poor, and to be honest whilst the stand was lovely quality, I didn't find the monitor was. Their was backlight bleed on 3 of the 4 sides. I was very unhappy and sent it back. Oh and also, I didn't find it super smooth and buttery as people have said, I still found it smeary, though a noticeable improvement on my current monitor.

Even though I've a capable (but old!) IPS panel, I am seriously considering TN just to avoid IPS glow and some of the inherent issues with IPS. I wish I had got the S2716DG when it was £389.99.

So for me, I'd choose TN. I don't move about much, and I was really unimpressed with the IPS panel in the 279Q.

Associate
OP
Thanks for sharing your experience with it.

However, a lot of people were taking advantage of the discount, so I had to chose quick before they ran out of stock (which they have now).

I chose the 279Q, so I guess I'll just have to try it for myself. If it disappoints, it's going back.

It's quite concerning that it's so hard to find a top quality Gsync monitor without issues.

Soldato
Hanga,
As stated a lot of people are delighted with them, I hope you are too.

I very much want a new monitor but I'm not willing to spend close to a grand on kit that is effectively a lottery, I'll wait it out for now.

Good luck with your purchase.

Soldato
Having tried both the PG279Q is superior in picture quality. I had a PG278Q which had the rather bad white "netting" experience which I was told was down to the filter over the screen that had been improved with later models and it looked a bit washed out.
Judging by both mains threads on here the PG278Q has a lot more complaints but this could be as it was THE monitor to go for at one time.

There are happy owners of both as well as a unhappy ones sadly its still a lottery and I cant see it changing for another year or more. I just happen to be a lucky one I cant hardly see any BLB and have IPS glow bottom right but it doesnt bother me at all.

Associate
"We loved the PG278Q TN Film model when we tested it about 15 months ago but we do feel that the new PG279Q has the edge. Asus have moved to G-sync v2 so you've now got an additional HDMI input available. The IPS panel technology offers much better all-round performance so the screen is no longer limited to almost exclusively a gaming screen, but can be used very well for other tasks. The AG coating is lighter and less grainy, there's no overshoot evident at all on pixel transitions and the design has been improved a little with the thin bezel design. The TN Film PG278Q still has a place though in the market and might actually be preferred for some. It's about £150 cheaper than the new model and if you don't need the extra HDMI input and don't really need to use the screen for other uses beyond gaming it would still be an excellent choice. The TN Film panel might feel a little more fluid in use, but we preferred the balance here on the PG279Q without overshoot and still very good motion clarity. There's less glow on dark content from the TN Film model, which is perhaps the main weakness now of IPS technology. If manufacturers were to combine an IPS panel like this with a polarizer film to reduce that glow, it would be very welcome!"

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asus_rog_swift_pg279q.htm

I'd take a bit of glow for superior viewing angles anyday.

Associate
OP
So, I have now had the 279q for a couple of days.

The backlight bleed is there, but it's not that bad. There's a little more than on my old Dell u2312hm but it's not much, so that I can live with.

There is however a sort of uniformity in the white color in the top 3rd of the screen, it's noticeable when browsing homepages that has a light background. I don't think that it's as bad as other has had it, but it is there.

However, my biggest concern so far is that I have become a bit dizzy with the monitor. I don't know if it's the jump in size (23" to 27"), a brightness issue, a refresh rate issue or something like that. Perhaps my eyes just need to readjust to a new monitor.

So I'm still not sure if it's a keeper or if it's going back.

I do however know that Gsync is not a gimmick as some claim. I think it works very well and gaming is ultra smooth even when fps is jumping around 30-60 fps interval. The monitor is very good for gaming, as the backlight bleed and uniformity is not visible at all.

Question: I have read that ASUS should have upped there QC in october, so poeple check if their monitor is an october sample or newer. Does this also apply for my monitor, which is produced in China? Also how do I see when it was produced?

Soldato
From my experience of both 279Q and 278Q.

I am not one particularly for IPS and for me I notice little difference between IPS and TN color and angle viewing wise. The TN version is probably one of the best if not the best TN panel of that size.

I sent the 279Q back and kept the 278Q. My 278Q is like a blackboard (In reference to glow and bleed and such issues) even at 100 brightness. Usually have it on 85.

I have now upgraded to the PG348Q which is IPS but unfortunately had a faulty monitor (really bad BLB) so awaiting a replacement.

Last edited:
Soldato
From my experience of both 279Q and 278Q.

I am not one particularly for IPS and for me I notice little difference between IPS and TN color and angle viewing wise. The TN version is probably one of the best if not the best TN panel of that size.

I sent the 279Q back and kept the 278Q. My 278Q is like a blackboard (In reference to glow and bleed and such issues) even at 100 brightness. Usually have it on 85.

I have now upgraded to the PG348Q which is IPS but unfortunately had a faulty monitor (really bad BLB) so awaiting a replacement.

Bit surprised you cant tell difference viewing angle wise its like chalk and cheese. The 279Q is so much better. I slouch in my chair sometimes and with a TN you lose badly. Very easy to tell it change from sitting down to standing up.

Could be due to your brightness level being 85. Thats way too high for most people. I have it set Brightness 37 / Contrast 50.

Back
Top Bottom