***21.9 Ultrawide Thread***

Associate
Second one is curved, first is flat.

Actually eying up these two myself atm, apparently the freesync range can be overclocked reasonably easy to 45-75.

The curved screen might make photoshop stuff involving lines and edges a bit more difficult?

Soldato
The curved screen might make photoshop stuff involving lines and edges a bit more difficult?

I personally have not noticed this, but it MAY be an issue for some. I actually don't even notice the curve when sat in front of mine, and I have heard many others say the same. I would imagine it would be more of an issue for very precise work, architecture and the like, where the slightest deviation in a straight line could cause serious problems, but for general Photoshop work (as I use it for), far less so.

Associate
I tried the Acer z35 (VA) and returned it in the end. Not that convinced of the value for that price.
I've just bought a gtx1080 and am thinking of getting the x34 freesync - do you agree with my rationale below:

a) it's cheaper than gsync;
b) 60 fps is more than enough to me so I don't really need gsync;
c) image quality and motion will look better than the VA and TN;
d) gtx1080 should handle 1440p easily at 60fps.

Associate
Not really; why buy freesync if you're buying a 1080 GPU? Sure it's cheaper, but it's still expensive, and you're buying £600 for the GPU alone.

Associate
I tried the Acer z35 (VA) and returned it in the end. Not that convinced of the value for that price.
I've just bought a gtx1080 and am thinking of getting the x34 freesync - do you agree with my rationale below:

Only reason to do this is if you're planning on switching to vega when it is released, as under freesync you can get 75hz out of the monitor

Soldato

I wouldnt as vsync does add a bit lag so in FPS games you would have to disable it anyway. Just save up for a gsync instead and get the full benefit of using that card.

Associate
Makes me wonder how many people blow £600 on a card and then play it on a 24" monitor. Heh. Guess the bragging rights on the card are that important.

Well, if that's about me, I had bought a z35 which I returned, hoping to buy something better. So I'm still looking for an alternative, but am not convinced entirely yet by the x34, hence the question.

I might go for a 27'' in wqhd, but I really like 21:9 monitors. Decisions, decisions.

In the meantime, the gtx 1080 makes everything looks incredibly smooth and detailed on my current 1080p60hz panel, and I still enjoy it. Doesn't stop me looking to update my monitor.

Associate
Well, if that's about me, I had bought a z35 which I returned, hoping to buy something better. So I'm still looking for an alternative, but am not convinced entirely yet by the x34, hence the question.

I might go for a 27'' in wqhd, but I really like 21:9 monitors. Decisions, decisions.

In the meantime, the gtx 1080 makes everything looks incredibly smooth and detailed on my current 1080p60hz panel, and I still enjoy it. Doesn't stop me looking to update my monitor.

For my tuppence worth, the monitor is one of the most important upgrades/purchases for your system. Everything else, is only their to put pixels on your screen fast enough to provide a good gaming experience.

4K is great, but even the 1080GTX struggles to drive this resolution at anything but "acceptable" frame rates - unless you have the cash to go SLI.

3440x1440p is somewhat of a sweet spot here - playable frame rates, increased immersion from the widescreen and high resolution without dragging your GPU to its knees.

Yes, £900 for an Asus X34A is a big stack of cash - but look at what the rest of your system costs (Nevermind the £600+ for a 1080GTX!) - the monitor is the end point of all that expense, so don't skimp on that one component.

If you are happy at 1080P, great - but go for one of the dropped cost last-gen NVidias - at most a 1070. If you want all the glory that the new 1080GTX brings, get a decent 3440x1440P screen with G-Sync so you can appreciate what you have! G-Synce comes into its own as you start dropping below 60fps from what I understand - the benefit is negligible as you move to higher playable refresh rates vs frame rates.

Like I said, just my tuppence worth. Everyone has their own opinion and sweet spot. Its your money, you need to decide what you want from it! ;)

Associate
For my tuppence worth, the monitor is one of the most important upgrades/purchases for your system. Everything else, is only their to put pixels on your screen fast enough to provide a good gaming experience.

4K is great, but even the 1080GTX struggles to drive this resolution at anything but "acceptable" frame rates - unless you have the cash to go SLI.

3440x1440p is somewhat of a sweet spot here - playable frame rates, increased immersion from the widescreen and high resolution without dragging your GPU to its knees.

Yes, £900 for an Asus X34A is a big stack of cash - but look at what the rest of your system costs (Nevermind the £600+ for a 1080GTX!) - the monitor is the end point of all that expense, so don't skimp on that one component.

If you are happy at 1080P, great - but go for one of the dropped cost last-gen NVidias - at most a 1070. If you want all the glory that the new 1080GTX brings, get a decent 3440x1440P screen with G-Sync so you can appreciate what you have! G-Synce comes into its own as you start dropping below 60fps from what I understand - the benefit is negligible as you move to higher playable refresh rates vs frame rates.

Like I said, just my tuppence worth. Everyone has their own opinion and sweet spot. Its your money, you need to decide what you want from it! ;)

I'm looking for a QHD screen (so a 2K screen)

Oh, and I'm planning a HTC VR soon :) That'll probably take priority over the monitor.

Last edited:
Associate
My X34A just arrived ~15 minutes ago, and I have to say the state of the box it's been delivered in is the worst I've ever seen! Tears and holes on all sides! Debating whether or not to even open it at the moment. Worried this is a preused unit, or else, DPD have done a horrendous job in looking after this in transit. Will report back once I've decided what to do. Not how I wanted delivery day to go :(

Edit: Did anybody else's X34A box arrive in bad shape? And can anybody recommend a free image hosting site where I can upload pictures of the box hassle free without having to create an account?

Last edited:
Associate
My X34A just arrived ~15 minutes ago, and I have to say the state of the box it's been delivered in is the worst I've ever seen! Tears and holes on all sides! Debating whether or not to even open it at the moment. Worried this is a preused unit, or else, DPD have done a horrendous job in looking after this in transit. Will report back once I've decided what to do. Not how I wanted delivery day to go :(

Edit: Did anybody else's X34A box arrive in bad shape? And can anybody recommend a free image hosting site where I can upload pictures of the box hassle free without having to create an account?

Mine was in perfect shape when it arrived, its very well packed into the packaging

Def take pictures before you open it

Soldato

Why did you accept the package :confused:

Associate
Why did you accept the package :confused:

I only noticed as the DPD driver was driving off. It was raining pretty heavily when he got here, so he kept the box in the van and only brought it in the house once I had signed... It was only once I began wiping the rain off the box that I noticed. I'm inclined to think the unit is brand new now though, because all the seals are in place and there's no indication any of them have been removed previously.

Associate
Plug it in and fire it up, you'll soon see if you're keeping it or not.

Unpackaging as I type. So far the internals of the box and the monitor all appear to be in pristine condition, apart from one broken piece of styrofoam, which I'm not hugely bothered about. Carefully scanning the monitor now to see if I can locate so much as a single fingerprint. Documenting everything pictorially. So far nothing discouraging found.

Back
Top Bottom