40" TV for Gaming

Associate
Hi -- I'm in a dilema about what TV to buy for a sim racing rg. I'm going triples at 40" @ 1080p . I know TVs have higher lag rates than bespoke monitors but would be grateful for any suggestions of what other TVs people might be using and what they think of its performance.

Soldato
You may pooh the idea but I just bought a B Grade Benq XR3501 35" 21:9 for my sim rig and it's really very good for driving games. Even my aging GTX 670 can still push the driving sims to the 120Hz I have the monitor set to due to it being 2560x1080. I'm not suggesting 3 of those just that it's so wide it does it for me.

Also I don't notice the res due to being sat 1m or so from it.

Otherwise I had a Korean 40" UHD LED monitor before and they are pretty good with lower than TV latency.

Associate
Vizio televisions are the best for gaming, they all have under 20ms input lag. Certain models like the P Series can do 1080p at 120hz so you can do 120hz and use a DSR resolution if you want. It is a native 4k Screen and also capable of 4k at 60hz. Higher refresh rates are mostly essential for 3rd person shooter/FPS multiplayer games, I don't think you would really need it for a racing sim, 60fps is good enough for any Single Player game/Single Player RPG, generic mmo's and some RTS games.

http://ca.rtings.com/tv/tests/video-games/input-lag

I currently use a 50 inch Sony W800b for gaming and it is great, I have enjoyed playing on a bigger screen far more than a smaller one and I had a 24 inch gaming monitor before then I went up to 32 inch LED tv, I like 50 inches a lot more. I am selling my TV though since I wanna try a 144hz 27 inch 1080p GSync monitor before I upgrade my computer and buy another new TV in April 2017.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thank you both for that - food for thought!

I read somewhere that 1080p x 3 on TVs required more GPU grunt than 1080p x 3 on dedicated gaming monitors. Is this true and if so why?

Back
Top Bottom