Phillips BDM4350UC 43"

Soldato
No official thread so i'll start one. It's the updated version of the 40" VA monitor, now with IPS screen and HDMI 2.0 connectivity.

Kitguru have just put up an article, apparently it'll cost £1,169.99! About double the VA screen.
http://www.kitguru.net/peripherals/...s-launches-massive-43-inch-4k-ips-pc-monitor/

Lol @ the crazy price.

I prefer VA screens anyway, and i use Display port so no need for HDMI 2.0

Only thing i find interesting is its a 43".. but i think 40" is a little too big anyway.

Soldato
That is just a (rather crazy) MSRP. The street price will be closer to £700-800 inc. VAT initially, if that ($800 in the US). I'll be reviewing this very shortly as one is on the way to me.

Associate
OP
That is just a (rather crazy) MSRP. The street price will be closer to £700-800 inc. VAT initially, if that ($800 in the US). I'll be reviewing this very shortly as one is on the way to me.

Look forward to it. Hopefully it's not hazy/grainy like most 4K IPS monitors i've tried recently. The 27" Acer S277HK was the first one I owned and was quite frankly a disgrace at angles. Far too grainy looking when viewed against a white background.

Soldato
Look forward to it. Hopefully it's not hazy/grainy like most 4K IPS monitors i've tried recently. The 27" Acer S277HK was the first one I owned and was quite frankly a disgrace at angles. Far too grainy looking when viewed against a white background.

What you describe sounds like something that would be affected by a matte screen surface. The 27" '4K' UHD IPS-type models I've tested are really not good at all in that respect. But this model has a 1% haze (glossy) screen surface, fairly similar to the BDM4065UC so that won't be an issue.

Last edited:
Associate
See my comments above.

Looking forward to the review! Some things I'm interested in I hope you'll cover:

The larger panel should mean easier reading at the native resolution but I wonder if the edges of the screen might feel to far away when sat on your desk, maybe curved would have worked better.

The increased to 10bit should be a welcome improvement but I wonder if the move to IPS might mean noticeably less black 'blacks' and on such a large screen so close to the face that could get irritating.

Motion! I like me some DOTA2 and CS:GO, I've been impressed with the motion handing of the VA panel, could the IPS equal or improve upon it?

Soldato
Looking forward to the review! Some things I'm interested in I hope you'll cover:

The larger panel should mean easier reading at the native resolution but I wonder if the edges of the screen might feel to far away when sat on your desk, maybe curved would have worked better.

The increased to 10bit should be a welcome improvement but I wonder if the move to IPS might mean noticeably less black 'blacks' and on such a large screen so close to the face that could get irritating.

Motion! I like me some DOTA2 and CS:GO, I've been impressed with the motion handing of the VA panel, could the IPS equal or improve upon it?

From experience (without testing, yet):

1) The overall experience should be similar to the 40" screen really. If you find that comfortable, I imagine you'd adapt to the extra 2.51" fairly readily.

2) It's unquestionable that contrast will be significantly weaker. However; perceived black depth can be surprisingly good on glossy screens, at least in a moderately well-lit to bright room.

3) It's likely going to be better, unless something is messed up with the overdrive. The BDM4065UC has quirks in its motion performance due to the use of PWM and the fact some pixel responses are extremely slow. It also has interlace pattern artifacts, as I explore in my review. If you don't find any of that bothersome it's highly likely that you'd find the new model just fine. Out of interest, how do you find the motion performance of the BDM4065UC if you set the brightness to '100' (to disable PWM)?

Soldato
Offt. Did love the VA varient. But that's quite the price difference. Had two with PWM flicker though...seems to get worse over time. Thankfully the swap and drop on the warranty is very good.

Still a pain, though.

Soldato
Seriously considering this monitor but my queries are:
will this be a big improvement over my 34" lg super wide and will i miss superwide.
Am i crazy considering getting a 4k monitor when i only have 2x titan blacks, will my games drop to a crawl.

Edit: Maybe my last querie i should ask in the graphics card forum.

Permabanned
Ive moved from multi monitor to ultra wide and now to the ilyama 40". Love the 40" the best by miles. So lovely having a large high res display to work on.

Associate
Seriously considering this monitor but my queries are:
will this be a big improvement over my 34" lg super wide and will i miss superwide.
Am i crazy considering getting a 4k monitor when i only have 2x titan blacks, will my games drop to a crawl.

Edit: Maybe my last querie i should ask in the graphics card forum.

I had a pair of titan blacks, I upgraded to a pair of 980ti's and some games still drop below 60fps but generally a few setting dropped to medium does the trick.

Associate
OP
What you describe sounds like something that would be affected by a matte screen surface. The 27" '4K' UHD IPS-type models I've tested are really not good at all in that respect. But this model has a 1% haze (glossy) screen surface, fairly similar to the BDM4065UC so that won't be an issue.

Indeed. I'd never experienced on all my previous IPS screens at 1080 (between 21"-23", so although the picture quality did look excellent in 4K (albeit far too small), it came as a bit of shock seeing the grains all on it. I contacted Acer at the time as I thought it was a monitor fault, and they tried to make me go through so many hoops to send it back that I just gave the monitor to my old man, been looking for a new monitor since.

Thanks, think I'm going to wait till next year then when the 1080ti are out.

You'd be absolutely fine with 2x Titan Blacks on a 4K screen for the next 12 months, just don't try to use Ultra in every game, you get minimal gains IMO. The resolution is more important to me.

For doing anything else other than gaming you can even get away with using Intel graphics with a 4K monitor.

Associate
Ive moved from multi monitor to ultra wide and now to the ilyama 40". Love the 40" the best by miles. So lovely having a large high res display to work on.

Conversely, I've gone from a 40" 4k to a 34" ultrawide gsync and I wouldn't go back!

Back
Top Bottom