ROG Swift PG279Q Display port woes

Associate
Recently came into the light with this wonderful display, but been having seemingly random issues with Display port.

Not entirely unconvinced it's an issue with Nvidia and the Geforce 1080, but I'd like to see if other people have the same issue with that card.

Resigned myself to using the hdmi while installing my OS, after getting agitated at how the Display port would sometimes work on a restart, and would cut out randomly. Until I finally had the opportunity to install my graphics card and monitor drivers, then I gave Display port another go.
Plugging Display port in, then unplugging hdmi, I was pleased to find that display port played nice for the rest of the evening, yay.

When I came to switch on this morning, course the display port refused to work on startup, so I plugged the hdmi back in. After a while I switched back to display port, and it has worked for a time, before randomly cutting off again. Gave it a while and the display port is working as intended again right now. But I'm worried it's going to conk out in the middle of a game.

There appears to be numerous possible explanations coming up on Google, but I'm curious if it's monitor specific? Is it a power issue?

Soldato
sounds like a dodgy cable that would cause cutout & possible startup issues

i have
PG27AQ
PG278Q
GTX1080 & 980s

had 0 issues for good 1 year +

Man of Honour
A not insignificant number of the PG278Q have issues with the displayport socket being rather poorly constructed resulting in intermittently the screen going black or limiting to 60-85Hz (usually though unplugging and plugging back in the displayport cable will sort it until it happens again) so wouldn't surprise me if some of the IPS model suffer similar issues.

Can tell you one thing I won't be buying Asus again after the issues I've had.

Associate
OP
I do hope it isn't the port itself, even on hdmi the PG279Q is a gorgeous monitor, and I'd rather not bother with returns on a currently out-of-stock monitor. Partly due to one half of the styrofoam got thrown out by accident, while the other half cradles my old Syncmaster BX 2235 in the Swift's box.

Ordered a new cable Display port cable from OC, hopefully that will let me utilise the monitor's >60 refresh rate more consistently.

Back
Top Bottom