• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Gigabyte 980 SLi Option

Soldato
I have a Gigabyte 980 G1 gaming card installed at the moment, will it be worth it to buy another 980 to keep me ticking over for the next year.

Have been hearing that SLi has been disappointing in recent times.

Plus the card I have is EOL, so would have to buy a different brand of 980, but I know that it will only run at the same settings as the weakest card.

I game at 1080p

I suppose the other option is to keep saving.

Appreciate your thoughts

Soldato
Tricky one. I'm a 980Ti sli user. Personally I have very few issues with SLI these days. I find my x99 5930k 980Ti SLI rig fantastic compared to my previous build (z68, which was also SLI - 780Ti's, but had quite a few stutter issues with that build).
It's all AIO watercooled now though, and I wouldn't run SLI again without very good cooling, if noise and temps are important to you.

I game at 3440 x 1440 100Hz though. What Hz you at? If only 60 then is your 980 struggling at 1080p 60Hz?

If you game at 120hz or higher, or you might get a new monitor anytime soon I'd be tempted to upgrade to a faster single card (1070 perhaps?), to begin with...

Last edited:
Soldato
It's something I've considered what with the second hand prices dropping so much, but the thought of buying another block & backplate bumps the price up plus I don't really need the additional power. Although, when has that ever stopped anyone! :D

The single Ti runs everything I have pretty much maxed out at 1440p so I'd say if your on 1080p I wouldn't bother as a single Ti should be more than enough.

I had sli 970s before the Ti & found support for 2 cards back then a bit patchy so can't imagine it's improved.

Associate
mysticsniper, what resolutions are you gaming at and what hz monitor do you have?

Your 980 is still a decent card and should play everything @ 1080p/60fps from now - Jan 2018. If you fancy a new toy (GPU) I would sell the 980 on gumtree (saves you paying 10-12% to ebay) and buy a 1070. I HIGHLY reccomend the Zotac Amp the cooling solutions is second to none in my opinion its almost silent at 80% fan speeds in my Define R4 case and for the price, gigabyte,msi,evga AIB's are overpriced.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
mysticsniper, what resolutions are you gaming at and what hz monitor do you have?

Your 980 is still a decent card and should play everything @ 1080p/60fps from now - Jan 2018. If you fancy a new toy (GPU) I would sell the 980 on gumtree (saves you paying 10-12% to ebay) and buy a 1070. I HIGHLY reccomend the Zotac Amp the cooling solutions is second to none in my opinion its almost silent at 80% fan speeds in my Define R4 case and for the price, gigabyte,msi,evga AIB's are overpriced.

I am finding that even at 1080p I struggle in some games with high settings.

I had the 970 previously, so it's probably just me, but I don't fancy the 1070.

Plus when the 980ti came out, I wished I'd gone for that one, so if anything I would wait for the Ti models to be released before upgrading to a brand new card.

Soldato
3 of us have asked you what resolution and what hz do you game at. Why not answer?

Edit- just noticed your sig. Assuming it's not irony heavy, perhaps you should ask that Jesus lad for gpu advice.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom