• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

MSI officially announces GTX 1070 quality problems in China

Soldato
Cd8C81R.jpg

MSI officially announces GTX 1070 quality problems in China.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/4wh8jc/msi_officially_announces_gtx_1070_quality/#d6732sf

Heads up if your looking at Msi for a 1070, reading posts, it could be down to the shift in Msi using Micron GDDR5 instead of Samsung so might be best to avoid Msi until they resolve the problem.

***UPDATE***:

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
It is mentioned in the 1070 thread.

Never saw it, besides it's better having it's own thread imo especially as somewhere is flogging the Armor with a £40 discount, whether it's a coincidence or trying to shift stock quickly after the announcement idk.:)

I thought it was only the 1080s that used GDDR5X ?

:oFixed op thanks for the headsup.:)

Associate
Never saw it, besides it's better having it's own thread imo especially as somewhere is flogging the Armor with a £40 discount, whether it's a coincidence or trying to shift stock quickly after the announcement idk.:)

It'll be interesting to see, I just bought an MSI 1070 Armor for £380 which will be delivered in the next few days. I'll be thoroughly testing it and if there's any issues it's going back... glad I got it from a place that's good with returns. Even if it starts exhibiting problems a few months after purchase I have faith the site I bought it from will give a full refund if asked.

Someone on Reddit said the original article had been mistranslated and a more accurate translation says the shops in China have only experienced a 0.01% return rate on the MSI 1070 cards.

Last edited:
Soldato

I just ordered a 1070 Armor because of that discount (elsewhere). I hadn't seen the MSI announcement or otherwise I likely wouldn't have. Guess I should have realised there was a reason behind the price drop, although prices have been fluctuating a lot lately.

However, the 1070 Armor isn't specifically listed in the MSI announcement, so what's the likelihood of that model not being involved in this defect / recall?

My order hasn't shipped yet, wondering if I should cancel it. But don't want to be too hasty if the 1070 Armor isn't affected.

Permabanned
Heads up if your looking at Msi for a 1070, reading posts, it could be down to the shift in Msi using Micron GDDR5 instead of Samsung so might be best to avoid Msi until they resolve the problem.

Ever since the terrible 290x gaming models I've been in avoid MSI mode, I thought they'd improved things with the 390x until we heard numerous issues regarding paste application and now this on the green side of the border.

This simply tells me to avoid them period.

Soldato
From the reddit page seems like micron memory cards that are the bad ones.

What do you do with so many defective cards? I'd be very weary of the returned ones slipping out the back door and ending up on auction sites and the like a bit further down the line.

Soldato
Weird, I've always thought MSI are one of the better makes out there.

My Gaming X has Samsung memory and works all right, hope it stays like that.

Soldato
You can check all the info in GPU-Z. I bought the card about two weeks ago, before the entire issue came to light so I didn't even know about the whole Micron deal.
I guess I was somewhat lucky but I bet the issue isn't that widespread and most cards come with Samsung chips.

Maybe we should make a poll for MSI owners to see how many people got Micron and whether they have any issues?

Anyways, I doubt I'd be able to clock a Micron chip to +600 or +700 without serious artifacting or crashing:p
I don't keep it that high because there's no point but mine can do that.

Soldato
I'd avoid MSI like the plague. I sent in my laptop for warranty repair a year and 10 months in for an issue with the fans and they said my motherboard, keyboard and battery had become faulty due to moisture (nothing watery ever touched it, no damp issues either etc) so they would not fulfil my warranty. After months of arguing I knew I wouldn't get it back working unless I paid, so I did, only for them to turn around and tell me that didn't fix my laptop and the problem was actually with the fan and they'd fix that under warranty but still charge me for the new parts. They penny pinched on the laptop, kept me hanging for months and as a result are forever on my blacklist and because of this thread I'm rather glad I bought my 1070 from a different manufacturer!

Permabanned
QA problems in China are a result of poor AIB management. At least they have ack it, quantified it and put in place a strategy to rectify it. Nil issues apart from that, they are doing the right thing here.

Back
Top Bottom