• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

EPS extension on GPU PCI-E extension...?

Soldato
I have what is labelled as an 8-pin EPS 12v extension... can I use this as an extension for a GPU PCI-E 8-pin? They are the same wires aren't they, just the end which you don't see is different, but the PCI-E cable from PSU goes on to it just fine. I can't see any difference or am I being daft?

Caporegime
The EPS 12v cable is an extension for providing extra power for the cpu socket. Often located along the top right edge of the motherboard. I suspect it will have a different pin connection layout to the power supply pcie cables, or the connectors on the card. Which power supply are you using btw?

Soldato
OP
Yes I know what it's typically for, I just have one spare and no extra PCI-E 8-pin extension (I need x2 for 980Ti). Actually I think you're right... comparing the two they are slightly different at the ends. I am using a BeQuiet Pure Power L8 630W.

Caporegime
From looking at the specs of your psu, i see it has 4x pcie connectors. 2x 6 pin and 2x 8 pin, (6+2 split style). Are you having trouble getting the cable to reach the graphics card?

Soldato
OP
Yes I do need extension for reach, so will need to get one. Just happened to have the 12v one spare, but realise now it won't work.

Back
Top Bottom