• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is this safe?

Associate
was taking out my 980 ti's as got a new card, 1st card in 16x slot unlocked from the latch fine, but 2nd one would not budge so after a few hours of almost breaking my finger trying to get the latch to work eventually the card came out and the entire pci express slot cover came off exposing the contacts undrneath, ive ran the system for 2 days since with no problems but is it safe to leave it like this or not? pics below

cFJZt0Cl.jpg
XU2NJk2.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
It may well do if you accidentally touch the pins and they bend enough to touch each other.

Looks ok at the moment but be aware of it every time you do anything inside the case.

Obviously that slot is damaged beyond repair.

Associate
The right hand pins look damaged, I would leave it alone if its working.
You wont be able to use that slot again.

You may have problems with warranty as I would have classed this as user damage when I worked in the RMA department.

Associate
OP
nope the slot wont go on without bending the pins further or completely, do you think its worth me cutting the wires down shorter and putting some electrical tape over the top of it or is this not a good idea?

los

los

Associate
If it was me, I would make sure it's all turned off then cut the pins so there is no chance of the pins shorting to anything or each other.

Caporegime
If you want to do something I'd either pay to have it fixed OR cut them off completely so there are just stubs and forget about it.

Depends how much a repair would cost!

Associate
As long as they are not touching it will be ok.

It's been a while since I messed with anything like this.

How easy are the pins to bend.
If they are soft cut them off.

If you are constantly opening your case messing with stuff cut them off.

If they seem like they won't move and your not going to open your case regularly then leave it alone.

Dont use tape or hot glue as you won't be able to see what's going on.

I doubt repair would be worth it.
I'm assuming you don't need the slot.

Associate
OP
i've cut the wires down now....suprisingly ive had it on for 2 days now and the way they were before they were actually touching and nothing happened, all the wires and now supershort and not touching at all.

Associate
OP
As long as they are not touching it will be ok.

It's been a while since I messed with anything like this.

How easy are the pins to bend.
If they are soft cut them off.

If you are constantly opening your case messing with stuff cut them off.

If they seem like they won't move and your not going to open your case regularly then leave it alone.

Dont use tape or hot glue as you won't be able to see what's going on.

I doubt repair would be worth it.
I'm assuming you don't need the slot.
yeah not bothered about the slot, the pins have been cut now and are not touching as far as i can tell anyway, i only really open case to give it quick clean every couple months, think i should be ok to leve it like this now then?

Back
Top Bottom