Cable braiding tutorial

Associate
I plan on re-brading some bitfenix alchemy cables.
Just wanting to confirm its 3mm braiding and 9mm heat shrink that i need to do this?
Cheers :)

Soldato
Hi guys,

So my EVGA G2 has turned up today and wanting to start braiding. Noticed taking the heatshrink off that there are capacitors, so im going to leave that and just buy an extension.

Any cheap extension do? Don't want to buy the bit fenix stuff because its already braided?

Last edited:
Associate
I am looking to go down the paracord route, Blue and black how much paracord would I need for a typical non modular psu?

Measure each cable, combine the length then add about 20% extra on top.
The thing with Paracord is that you need to fit a length that is longer than your cable by about 5-10ml, that way when it bends it wont pull out of the sheath.

Associate
Hi guys,

So my EVGA G2 has turned up today and wanting to start braiding. Noticed taking the heatshrink off that there are capacitors, so im going to leave that and just buy an extension.

Any cheap extension do? Don't want to buy the bit fenix stuff because its already braided?

You can quite easily buy a length of the correct diameter cable, the male & female connectors and your braid of choice. Custom length :)

Associate
The Phobya molex extractor kit will do the trick. Practice a few times and you'll get the knack of it. Thats what I used to create my custom cables. I didn't sleeve mine but just went with a nice looking cable.

I made mine completely custom with no extensions and all new psu/mb connectors. Also after trying various crimping tools I used this one below. Its fairly expensive for what it does but the die in this tool is machined just perfectly for molex connector pins. You can also see what your crimping with excellent results.

The final result once all plugged in and powered up is a very satisfying feeling. :)

1nz0ix.jpg

5o5l5x.jpg

Soldato
Guys is it possible to braid just one end of a non modular psu cable?

Or is it just easier to make your own extension cable to a custom length?

Can anyone specify the cable type, pins and connectors to use please if making your own extension?

Can anyone also specify decent quality male and female pins and what crimping solution is needed?

Last edited:
Associate
Damn it I really fancied having a go at this but it will cost more to buy all the tools than it will to just buy the ready made extensions for my whole system.

Thats all down to a matter of opinion.
I managed to do all my cables, and only bought the braid, heatshrink and connecters.
I used stuff already at home - lighter, heat gun, pliers, staples, sewing needle etc.

Associate
That's a first class lesson in cable braiding.

Only one little problem, I can't see any of the photos ? Do I have to join Photobox or something to be able to view them ? Or have photobox just stopped showing them.. I have seen these blank photos quite a lot lately ??

Soldato
Where is the best place to get decent pin removal tools and perhaps a crimping tool in the UK. Used to do a bit of sleeving in times gone by feel I would like to get back into it but this time have some decent tools to work with?

What about the sleeving itself where is the best supplier in the UK?

Back
Top Bottom