iOS 9

• Thread starter Deleted member 138126
  • Start date

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

OP
I put it on last night. Seems reasonably stable, but tbh it's a huge let-down in terms of new features. I tried going back to 8.3 this morning, but because it made a new backup with 9 after upgrading, it can no longer restore the backup (says the backup is for a newer version of the OS), so it looks like I'm stuck with 9 now.

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

OP
CPU went absolutely nuts for the first 20 minutes or so after the upgrade completed: case extremely hot, visibly chewing through the battery. It has settled down, but battery is far worse than it was on 8.3. Currently on 45%, whereas under 8.3 I would've been at 70+% at this time of day.

LOL, isn't one of the key features supposed to be better battery life?

Every single time there's a release, without question. :D

Bugs = high CPU load = terrible battery life = fix in x.2, then next major release comes out and repeat.

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

OP
LOL, isn't one of the key features supposed to be better battery life?

Every single time there's a release, without question. :D

Bugs = high CPU load = terrible battery life = fix in x.2, then next major release comes out and repeat.
Well... given it is developer beta 1, I'm bound to cut them a little bit of slack! But yes, it's quite ironic!

Soldato
I suspect a lot of supposed battery issues in the first week of releasing a new update are 90% caused by people just using their phones a little more because they want to play with the new features. Certainly you can't count a new release as normal usage.

I'm looking forward to getting iOS 9, though won't be getting any developer version.

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

OP
Well, I failed to roll back to 8.3. My backup somehow got "upgraded" to v9, meaning it wouldn't let me restore it if the phone has 8.3 on it. So I'm stuck on 9.

Battery consumption is horrendous on 9 Beta 1. I'm not using it any more than usual, simply because there is virtually nothing new!!! In fact, I'm now terrified of touching it, because I keep forgetting to bring a cable into work, and I'm now at 32%, even though I turned off all background processing this morning. It's going to be a very frustrating few weeks until a better beta gets released.

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

OP
Thanks for the suggestion! I tried it, and didn't seem to make much difference. This is going to be a looooooong few weeks.

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

OP
Managed to restore an iPhone backup from mid-May, which means I am super happily back on iOS 8.3! What a relief! My battery died yesterday at 6pm, and all day I had it on "low battery mode", which disables all background processing, and even that made little difference.

Just goes to show how addicted I am to my smartphone, that the idea of running out of juice creeps me out.

Lesson learned. No more iOS betas for me!!

Soldato
As mentioned battery life is terrible. I left it locked and it went from 90% to 40% in 3 hours ... in standby mode! I've switched push emails off and set to fetch and that seems to have made a difference but I think its still not quite right.

The things I really like - slideover mode. Really like being in a game or rdp session, email ping comes through and I can slide over and see my emails and even reply from that slideover pane.

Safari, finally going back in this forum doesnt result in the tab reloading and planting you back at the top of the screen. That last worked properly for me in IOS7

Soldato
It's not really for public use though... it's for developers to test apps on. Even if you do want to jump on the train I wouldn't bother for the first three betas. In fact most of the good stuff doesn't arrive until GM.

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

OP
It's not really for public use though... it's for developers to test apps on. Even if you do want to jump on the train I wouldn't bother for the first three betas. In fact most of the good stuff doesn't arrive until GM.
Learned that the hard way!!

Back
Top Bottom