Bought a nutri-bullet blender.

Soldato
Enjoying fruit juice mixes at the moment. Any body else got one who can give me some cool suggestions for recipes?

I made a orange, apple, green grape and raspberry smoothy today.

2016-02-02%2013.51.01.jpg

Soldato
Love mine, couldn't live without it.

My breakfast is 2 banana's, a few frozen strawberries, frozen blueberries, cacao nibs, spoonful of almond butter topped up with almond milk.

Soldato
If you're doing it for any health benefit putting Kale in is surprisingly not gross. It may turn it a horrible green but IMO you can't notice the taste difference.

As said almond milk is really good in them too.

Soldato
Use coconut water when you don't want to add juice to your drink, so it becomes less sweet but still tasty, and full of potassium.

Buy frozen fruit from supermarket.

Add supplements e.g. Chia seeds, wheatgrass, spirulina, etc for extra nutrients.

Also several threads on juicers previously posted with same tips you can read.

Soldato
OP
some good tips here. I have just been adding a splash of water and ice to my juices so far.

Frozen fruit sounds good, saves watering it down with ice. Need a bigger freezer I think! :)

i did try a tomato, cucumber and lettuce mixture but it was very tasteless - not impressed with that, it was just like having water. No flavourings really.

Caporegime
Saying that, I had frozen blueberries, frozen raspberries, milk, water and whey last night blitzed, with a normal stick blender, and it's the best thing in the world.

Being frozen probably meant it's not in liquid form to have the reaction with milk and adding water dilutes it too.

Just try it with blueberries and milk....let it sit for 5 mins afterwards...

Caporegime
One tip, don't blend blueberries with milk.

It curdles and next thing you know you have a cup of angel's delight....

About 5 days a week I will have a smoothie made with milk and blueberries, never has it curdle before.

it will thicken up, but then half the ingredients I add to a smoothie will thicken it anyway, i consider that an advantage.
Porridge oats thicken it up, as does chia or flax seeds, and protein powder.

The fiber in chia seeds in particular really swell up and become gelatinous, that is what helps make it more satiating.

Associate
If you're doing it for any health benefit putting Kale in is surprisingly not gross. It may turn it a horrible green but IMO you can't notice the taste difference.

As said almond milk is really good in them too.

Ditto Spinach as well as Kale. I've confused many a person at work with my green Strawberry and Banana smoothies.

Soldato
Greens can mess up the colours, particularly in fruit smoothies. Pure green smoothies can look a little unappetising too but I normally put Skyr yogurt into mine which gives it a nicer pastel colour.

Soldato
My go to is:

Avocado
Baby spinach
Persimmon or apple
Water

I try and limit the amount of fructose as I don't think it's healthy cramming in too many sugary fruits.

Soldato
I make the same above but have a banana instead of apple and stick a spoon of chia seeds in as well. These frozen avocado halves from Tesco have been an amazing time saver but I feel like they are going to kill my little 300W Breville very soon so will be buying some kind of a powerful Ninja type contraption in the future.

Caporegime
http://www.chowhound.com/post/food-chemistry-question-blueberry-milk-cheese-278757?page=2

http://www.smoothieninja.com/smoothie-faq

You either don't really use that many or must be using some kind of special new breed of blueberries...

I add a handful but thete are a lot of other ingredients that thicken it up and probably prevent any curdling. Things like Chia seeds really make a gelatinous jello like.smoothie regardless of the blueberries.

I also drink the smoothie quickly.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom