Spec me a car for my 17 year old Niece

Caporegime
She is 17 taking her test in April so the cheaper to insure the better...

Cheap little run around sharing with her mum...

Budget

2k -3k

Been told not sky blue ! :p

Soldato
Get her something big and bad enough that she will survive any accidents!

(Back in the late seventies my parents got me a MK4 Zodiac!)

Quite apart from anything else, she might actually end up learning how to park properly (Like I had to! :p )

Soldato
Sis got a C1/107/Aygo and it was pretty reasonable insurance/costs/fuel wise. Also dead easy to drive/maneuvre as I own a pair of flippers that are bigger than it.

Soldato
There have been a million "spec a car for random 17 year old" threads and they're all the same, just go read those.

There'll inevitably be someone not understanding how insurance works and suggesting that one particular car will be cheap to insure because it was for them, but you can ignore those posts.

Soldato
It's worth mentioning that you shouldn't focus on the size of the car or the engine size too much. A large portion of the premium is going to be based on the risk due to historical accident rates etc - so looking at stuff that would be uncool is often a good shout. Not many 17 year olds want a Volvo so not many 17 year olds crash volvos... You might find stuff like that is cheaper than 1.0 fiestas and the like. My first car was a 1.8 306 and the a 1.8 TD mondeo - I was paying less than friends with 1.2 Corsas at the time

Associate
my first car was a Colorado red 03 ford ka 1.3. when i was 17 insurance was 2000 for it.decent wee car not many problems. just need watch the power steering rack and rust.

Back
Top Bottom