mobo sometimes not holding BIOS settings after shutdown

Soldato
Just got my mobo back from gb with a new BIOS.

I found it on but with no video output. Nothing worked including forcing backup BIOS.

The PC works now but when I try to change my SYS fan speed to full for my h60 and set my xmp, the settings don't always stick.

The initial BIOS circles spins twice and then I know it will restart and reset the BIOS.

Seem to remember this happened when I first bought it but then it stopped.

The date is correct so I don't think battery issue.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Soldato
OP
Well GB have already updated the bios to F7 from F6 and I think it's doing it with just the fan settings changed but will double check...

Thanks.

Soldato
OP
OK so here's the latest findings...

Set xmp, overclock and SYS fan then save and exit...boots fine and rock stable.

Reboot multiple times...still all good.

As soon as I shutdown then the problem returns on the second boot cycle.

After the second boot from a shutdown the BIOS wheel spins then screen goes black and the bios wheel spins again and windows boots. I can then see the BIOS has reverted to default settings.

Tried previous bios but that just goes into a boot loop and I never see anything on screen.

Thanks.

Soldato
OP
GB still not responded and I'm reluctant to dismantle the cmos battery sleeve/jumper until they do.

I've disconnected the battery and it behaves exactly the same.

If the pc is switched off but there is a live power connection to it, would the cmos even be needed?

I'm trying to figure out whether there's any point in replacing the battery.

Thanks.

Associate
Hello, it does sound like the motherboard battery is at fault. We can replace the battery for you but of course you will need to send the board back to us.
You could replace the battery yourself as it is just a normal part used in many devices. The spec is below

Lithium battery
3x20x20mm
3.0V
220 mAh

Let us know how you would like to procede, also you said you had contact GIGABYTE in regards to this issue. Could you let us know how and when you contacted us originally and we will look into why you did'nt get a reply until now.

Many thanks

GIGABYTE UK

Permabanned
Very first thing to do if a motherboard is not holding settings is to swap out the CR2032 battery. You can get a few for a £1 at my local pound shop.

Soldato
OP
Oops didnt realise people had replied here.

Thanks.

My concern is that the battery is in a sleeve with a jumper.

If I dismantle the sleeve and insert my own battery am I opening myself up to warranty problems
Thanks.

Associate
Oops didnt realise people had replied here.

Thanks.

My concern is that the battery is in a sleeve with a jumper.

If I dismantle the sleeve and insert my own battery am I opening myself up to warranty problems
Thanks.

No problem, some special boards have those batteries. If you send us a private message with your address details we will post one to you ASAP.

Soldato
OP
So this board has come back from GB with videos showing it working fine.

I turn it on and indeed it's holding their settings as shown in the video.

After testing without a drive, all seemed fine so I added a drive.

Then the problem reappeared so I started thinking what could be different about the GB test setup. I also realised I'd just started using the front switch instead of the PSU switch.

Turns out that the problem only occurs when I switch the PC off with the front switch, shorting the jumper or using windows shut down option. If I kill the PC at the mains it all works fine at next boot.

What could be causing this?

Soldato
OP
Well this is finally sorted.

Wanted to say thanks to giga man for all his help. This has been a royal PITA as I have an ITX rig in an sg05 with a h60 so all the cooler swapping in the early sleep problem days was not fun but GB have been really good. My h60, ssd and case are a bit beat up but I would have swapped that for a result any day.

After my first board had been tested fine,I sent a vid showing the problem reoccurring using a swap of every component except the cpu. It was agreed that a board swap would be best to diagnose once and for all.

New board came in a few weeks later and was swapped when I requested.

Unfortunately the problem remained in a different way. Any adjustment above stock Inc xmp caused the BIOS to hang at unstable message at cold boot but not restart. Entering the bios, reapplying the changes and restarting was fine apart from windows taking two minutes to load.

Having tried multiple BIOSes and BIOS settings my last throw of the die was a beta BIOS I found on tweak town...it sorted everything.

Now the BIOS kicks in faster and I have no sleep resume issues.

Very happy but still not really sure what went on here.

Anyway GB, top marks for service, please release that beta BIOS :)

Back
Top Bottom