18 month old and new born holiday prices.

Soldato
Ok so I make this thread to query some holiday prices.

6 adults and 2 kids under 2 years old. How much will it cost for the kids?

The reason I ask is I am told by my parents the holiday is £6k all together and that's £2k per couple (which makes it free for the two toddlers). I will be paying for me and the missus obviously but I am curious I am being mugged off into paying towards the kids going on holiday? My sister and her husbands kids that is.

I know it sounds awful but it has got my head spinning thinking about it.

Tbh. I struggle to hold the money to go on holiday so never do it. When someone else does it I am obliged to pay them back or get the holiday paid for so it's more convenient for me.

We are British we need some nice weather in the summer. It's almost 50/50 in the UK. Much better odds abroad.

????????

Don
It's unlikely you'll be paying for the babies, they wont have their own seats on flights and most hotels feed and house children until two for free

Associate
OP
Devils advocate: Are the others happy with subsidising the additional cost so that one person in education can go?

Well the G parents just want to be with the babies whose father is in education. And I'm happy to just have the holiday sorted for me where the only hassle is paying.

So yes.

The thread has been answered in a way I'm happy with. Wasn't about the cost or anything. Thank you all for the help.

Caporegime
Thanx for the info. I believe the reason for the silly price is because it's in August which is needed because one of us work in education so can't really go any other cheaper time.

Also it's all inclusive.

Thanx for the help guys.

if someone is going to ask you to hand over a few grand for something like going on holiday then usually it is better to do it all a bit more openly

like more than one person look for hotels, good deals... check skyscanner etc.. (something that generation is less likely to do) - then when you sort out a place you've got an e-mail that says OK flights are £XXX.XX, Hotel is £XXX.XX per person we can get insurance for £XX.XX total = £XXXX.XX

Have they said it is exactly £2000??? Seems very unlikely unless perhaps they're going through an agent or something - if they've not booked yet then ask them for the exact details and see if you can get a better deal - that will also clear up whether there is extra to pay for the kids... then e-mail everyone giving them the actual breakdown.

If my parents did something like this I wouldn't be worried that they were ripping me off per say but I'd be worried that they were getting a **** price from someone else so I'd want some transparency.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
if someone is going to ask you to hand over a few grand for something like going on holiday then usually it is better to do it all a bit more openly

like more than one person look for hotels, good deals... check skyscanner etc.. (something that generation is less likely to do) - then when you sort out a place you've got an e-mail that says OK flights are £XXX.XX, Hotel is £XXX.XX per person we can get insurance for £XX.XX total = £XXXX.XX

Have they said it is exactly £2000??? Seems very unlikely unless perhaps they're going through an agent or something - if they've not booked yet then ask them for the exact details and see if you can get a better deal - that will also clear up whether there is extra to pay for the kids... then e-mail everyone giving them the actual breakdown.

If my parents did something like this I wouldn't be worried that they were ripping me off per say but I'd be worried that they were getting a **** price from someone else so I'd want some transparency.

I'm not worried they are ripping me off. I was just not to sure about the babies. I trust my parents with my life lol. It was more the way they went about answering my questions. There will be documents for the holiday soon enough.

Caporegime
I'm not worried they are ripping me off. I was just not to sure about the babies.

that is what I meant by 'ripping you off' - getting you to pay for the babies without actually telling you after you've specifically asked - probably not a huge cost but it would suck to not simply be open and honest with everyone

though I'd suspect that extra cost is, if it exists, minimal - you're more likely to find that you're paying even more simply because they've probably got a bad deal by just turning up at some high street travel agent and not shopping around

Associate
OP
that is what I meant by 'ripping you off' - getting you to pay for the babies without actually telling you after you've specifically asked - probably not a huge cost but it would suck to not simply be open and honest with everyone

though I'd suspect that extra cost is, if it exists, minimal - you're more likely to find that you're paying even more simply because they've probably got a bad deal by just turning up at some high street travel agent and not shopping around

They are pretty savvy when booking the holidays. They go on atleast one a year. So they are more likely to get a better deal than I would considering the last holiday I went on was more than 5 years ago and I got the missus parents to sort that out lol.

I'm just not confident to do this stuff now my own tbf.

Associate
under 2 will be on a free child place and a child under 1 will be at a suppliment charge for the hotel, this is similar to what I have had. Free child places dont really exist as the cost is in the holiday price its just they hide it, very rare for the holiday to me more expensive after the alleged free space is gone.

Soldato
Myself and the missus went to Ibiza for a week in July with our little one. He was 6 months old. IIRC there was a £35 charge. Possibly for the insurance. We paid 10 euros for a cot for the week. Total cost was £994 (inc Insurance, selected seats-so we sit together). He was good as gold and loved the pool and sea and the ladies down on sunset strip in San Antonio.

Yeah he wont remember much if at all anything but he made our holiday as the look on his face at the airport when I showed him the plane we were about to travel on made the holiday before we even got there. Everyone there loved him, the staff other holiday makers. He was the star of the holiday.

He even went on a boat trip and loved that.

So going abroad with children isn't that bad. In fact we are booking our one for next year on Friday. Can't wait to take him again.

Edit: £35 was luggage excess.

20150704_204857%20(Medium).jpg

20150704_204905%20(Medium).jpg

20150708_124025%20(Medium).jpg

20150709_205302%20(Medium).jpg

20150711_192947%20(Medium).jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Why people go abroad on holiday with very young kids I don't know.
How much grief and hassle it is for something the kids wont even remember.
Keep it cheap and go hire a Caravan in Clacton :D for a few years til they can appreciate, enjoy and remember the utterly ludicrous expense of holidays abroad...

Worst idea I have seen in this forums so far :D

Soldato
My daughter is 4 1/4 and still has memories of a holiday we took to Greece when she was 1 3/4, and it cost about £20 to bring her.

Yes airports etc. are a hassle but it's not like everything else you do with a child that age isn't a hassle anyway. You don't entirely stop living because the baby might not remember.

Last edited:
Soldato
2 Grand to go to Tenerife? Seriously? It costs £800 for 2 to go there in a nice hotel.

If you have 2 grand, i would suggest saving £500 more and going to Thailand for 2 weeks, some VERY nice hotels and beaches there for the money that will BLOW Tenerife out of the water.

I'm talking from experience, my Gran lives in Tenerife and i have been to thiland recently.
We are going to Tenerife to visit her next year, and it will be great because it will cost us less than a grand in the school holidays. BARGAIN!

Soldato
Myself and the missus went to Ibiza for a week in July with our little one. He was 6 months old. IIRC there was a £35 charge. Possibly for the insurance. We paid 10 euros for a cot for the week. Total cost was £994 (inc Insurance, selected seats-so we sit together). He was good as gold and loved the pool and sea and the ladies down on sunset strip in San Antonio.

Yeah he wont remember much if at all anything but he made our holiday as the look on his face at the airport when I showed him the plane we were about to travel on made the holiday before we even got there. Everyone there loved him, the staff other holiday makers. He was the star of the holiday.

He even went on a boat trip and loved that.

So going abroad with children isn't that bad. In fact we are booking our one for next year on Friday. Can't wait to take him again.

Edit: £35 was luggage excess.

That baby is cute.
Also a little chubby :p

Soldato
2 Grand to go to Tenerife? Seriously? It costs £800 for 2 to go there in a nice hotel.

If you have 2 grand, i would suggest saving £500 more and going to Thailand for 2 weeks, some VERY nice hotels and beaches there for the money that will BLOW Tenerife out of the water.

I'm talking from experience, my Gran lives in Tenerife and i have been to thiland recently.
We are going to Tenerife to visit her next year, and it will be great because it will cost us less than a grand in the school holidays. BARGAIN!

Was all that in August ? Because when we looked for this year it was bend over and no lube ....

Unfortunately for OP's family they have someone working in education and therefore have to go at peak time. Whilst my 2 were pre-school the savings were massive when were able to avoid the school holiday peaks.

Soldato
Was all that in August ? Because when we looked for this year it was bend over and no lube ....

Unfortunately for OP's family they have someone working in education and therefore have to go at peak time. Whilst my 2 were pre-school the savings were massive when were able to avoid the school holiday peaks.

Yup Augast, My wife is a teacher and I also work in a school. The Thailand holiday was this year, was £300 more than off peak.
The year before was Tenerife same month. We book over 12 months in advanced though and pay the holidays off monthly.

Back
Top Bottom