Freelance work rate

Associate
Can anyone who does IT freelance work advice me to what the going rate is for doing freelance work is?. I am planning on doing some one off work for someone. Where they want me to investigate and implement remote access, their backup strategy and a few other little things IT related things like shared calendars etc.
I plan on setting up a VPN to their server, setting up another machine to backup their data inaddition to a removal NAS for offsite backup or cloudbackup depending on their internet connection speed and data size (or both if they want it).
How much would you reckon I should charge for this (not including hardware/software costs)? I have never done any freelance work before, always been a employed staff.
Thanks.

Associate
Is it for a large business? Where is it located geographically? my job could get £200 a day in newcastle or £5-600 a day in London so it depends on that too

Associate
OP
For a small company based in west london. Also what do you think the planning and implementation would take approx 2-days?

bJN

bJN

Soldato
Look for people posting similar requests on different sites and see what it is. As it's London based I'd say anywhere between £3-400 is fair, given what is a relatively small change.

Permabanned
Don't just worry about the charge, but also about what is and isn't included, and put the spec in writing. Otherwise, lots of people tend to have mission-creep about what you're to do, without having mission-creep about how long it'll take you to do it, and therefore, what you can charge.

And don't forget all the boring bits, like anything you earn being taxable, and having to do self-employed tax forms, accounts, perhaps having to pay an accountant, etc.

Soldato
Also be careful as once you've 'touched' it you will be expected to support everything, even parts that you haven't will have been "working before you came in".

Associate
The shorter the contract, the more I charge. For a 2 days missions, I'd go to £1k a day. You can explain it's overhead, and become a lot cheaper for a week worth of work.

And, don't underestimate!

Personally I charge by the hour, not the day.

Back
Top Bottom