Autumn Budget 2015

Permabanned
If I have understood this correctly, everything that Osborne announced today is based on forecasts.

Given he has missed all of his own economic targets previously, seems like a very brave thing to do.

Associate
OP
its not about bins being emptied its about social care and protecting vulnerable children, because those are the services that will suffer

Trident and spies I'm comparison to the above is a non-contest IMO, social care is more important than stupid wars and pointless weapons, they won't be much good when society breaks down

But the 2% rise is for social care......

V F

V F

Soldato
If I have understood this correctly, everything that Osborne announced today is based on forecasts.

Given he has missed all of his own economic targets previously, seems like a very brave thing to do.

It is hilarious why he even sets targets when he cannot even hit them.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;28865038 said:
Generally future fiscal planning in an organisation will be based on forecasts. That's how it works.

Oh, aren't you so droll

Generally that planning is based on realistic expectations that you have confidence in achieving. And if he has confidence in the OBR's quite significant shift in their previous forecast from 4 months ago then great, but it is quite a gamble, there were more prudent courses that could have been taken when someone unexpectedly presents you with a possible windfall.

But I'm not going to knock extra taxes and extra spending! Awesome! I think it's just taken everyone aback since the mantra of the last few years, and the conservatives in general, is low taxation, low public spending and here we have a budget that has done the opposite...raising taxes and increasing spending.....the end of austerity starts here! (as long as the OBR are correct of course ;))

Man of Honour
I wondered that, but could he move that quickly to change things? I'm not sure.

Senior officers and PCCs have been vocal in their warnings and concerns. Perhaps it's a bit of both ?

One thing I'm quite sure of is that the 43 force structure's days are numbered. Departments like major crime, public order, armed response and dogs are already being merged with other forces.

As it stands, some forces are on the brink of financial ruin and where I work, although healthy financially, voluntary severance has been introduced which has proven popular and a lot of experience has been lost.

Soldato
Listening to Osborne on the BBC this morning telling us all that he listened to everyone in regards to the tax credits debacle but failed to mention that of course that the Lords kicked in the b***s and that is why he had a major u turn. Plenty of people, organisations, even his own back benches warned him of the problems many many people would suffer when these tax credits stopped and he certainly was not listening then.

But he will still be able to shaft the lower paid when Universal Credit is phased in and tax credits are phased out.

Permabanned
It isn't at the forefront of reporting I notice. :D

Too risky with the PC climate to talk about taking care of other nations before your own. My last post was deleted but i made a valid point and had to bite my lip watching a bunch of well off millionaires chuckling and playing games with peoples lives.

There is so much waste out there, Custody for victimless crimes etc that the police should be cut just like every other service. The army should as well but foreign aid should be scrapped and the billions put to use on our own services. How can you cut elsewhere and leave them alone is just insane. But this is why they need to keep the goverment enforcment officers in jobs incase people like me get a bit too ahead of themselves and need a good baton to the head.

Caporegime
Oh, aren't you so droll

Generally that planning is based on realistic expectations that you have confidence in achieving. And if he has confidence in the OBR's quite significant shift in their previous forecast from 4 months ago then great, but it is quite a gamble, there were more prudent courses that could have been taken when someone unexpectedly presents you with a possible windfall.

But I'm not going to knock extra taxes and extra spending! Awesome! I think it's just taken everyone aback since the mantra of the last few years, and the conservatives in general, is low taxation, low public spending and here we have a budget that has done the opposite...raising taxes and increasing spending.....the end of austerity starts here! (as long as the OBR are correct of course ;))

I agree with this. OBR hasnt explained why in 4 months the expected tax revenue for next July has increased by billions. He has spent £19 billion of his £23 billion windfall. That's a massive gamble on £19 billion which might not ever exist.

Of course, if it doesn't then Osbourne can just blame the OBR for forecasting wrong.

Soldato
Scrapping HS2 would've been nice... such a horrendous waste of money. Is a 20 minute saved in journey time from London to Birmingham worth £60 billion? Could do with some investment in public transport outside of London and Birmingham...

DC was hard pressed to find £2.8 to electrify the main line between Reading and Cardiff along with the Valleys, priorities are so wrong.

Agreed. I'd rather a small portion of that £60bn was spent on finishing the metrication of the country and switching to km/h for our speed limits.

Back
Top Bottom