The Air Rifles & Pistols thread

Soldato
Anyone ever go shooting? Just recently joined the local HFT club (biggest in Scotland I believe), and will hopefully be getting an AA S400 next month. Aiming to do a little vermin control on the family farm too (rabbits, crows & rats!). Would be interested to hear if others here do any kind of shooting :)

Associate
Yeah, done a lot of shooting in my time (mainly rabbits).

I have a nice .22 BSA Lightning locked in my uncle's cabinet, i really would like to find the time to go shooting again but i just CBA to go through the chew of gaining permission to shoot etc etc.

Nothing better than an early morning sniper session though!

Associate
Do air guns require a permit? I have had a .22 hand gun in my cupboard for years now and never got a permit or permission from anywhere. They are very fun. If you chew up some paper and fit it into the barrel you can give people a mighty bruise :p

I remember when I was about 12 we had them out and we would go to a local building site and shoot the builders cans of juice and random things off of walls and stuff.......seems very stupid and dangerous now though :S

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Airrifles over 12ft/lbs in power require a Firearms certificate (FAC). Air pistols over 6ft/lbs require a FAC. If you don't have a FAC and your pistol is over 6ft/lbs power, the penalty is quite serious - 9 months in jail!

Soldato
The AAS400 is a good gun. I used to have the AAS410, the 10 shot mag version of it. I had the Tasco Custom Shop 8-40x56 and it would shoot pellet on pellet at 50yards. I wish I still had the time for it!

Soldato
OP
The only problem I'm finding is that the guns hold their value so well - second hand prices are pretty much the same as new! Ach well, new it is then :)

Soldato
I sell Air rifles (amongst other things) for a living :D

Going shooting soon with a mate very soon, probably just plink a few tin cans though. Nothing too serious this time of year.

I prefer to hunt in the autumn season, too many younguns need feeding around this time.

Soldato
Used to own a lovely powerful Weihrauch HW80k with a whopping big silencer on, my dads got it now - the barrel ended up getting bent through the silencer giving too much leverage onto it.

Lovely piece of kit - when the barrel was straight I could hit empty shotgun shell cases at 25-30 yards regularly, and when I had chance bunnies at slightly longer range :)

I miss shooting random pest species... might have to have a look around for somewhere to shoot and get a nice quiet pre-charged.

Soldato
OP
I sell Air rifles (amongst other things) for a living :D

Going shooting soon with a mate very soon, probably just plink a few tin cans though. Nothing too serious this time of year.

I prefer to hunt in the autumn season, too many younguns need feeding around this time.

Can you do me a deal on an S400? ;)

Soldato
I have a few air rifles. Got a HW97k (stage 1 venom tuned), BSA Lightning (with a custom stock i made myself) and a Cometa 300. I used to have a really nice Webley Venom Sidewinder with a walnut stock but i sold it and really regret it now. Can post pics if anyone interested.

I don't go to any clubs but have a 45 meter range in my garden that i occasionally have a shoot out on. Going to look into joining a club this summer and getting a PCP.

Last edited:
Soldato
i've got a trusty old BSA Meteor, recentley serviced with new spring etc for pennies. accurate little bugger but not much power as i would like.

Would love a HWK but the cost is a bit off putting for the amount of time i have to go shooting at the moment :(

Aod

Aod

Soldato
i have a chinese QB78 (in .22) pellet gun that runs on Co2. despite the disapproving looks it gets from other airgunners, i can shoot a match-head off it's stem at 12.5 yards every time :D

not had the oppotunity to run it through the Chrono, but i think it's shooting at about 10ft/lb - it was shooting 6 when new, but it was leaky and inefficient. it's been well tuned now ;)

Soldato
OP
can't believe anyone would shoot a crow, they are one of the most intelligent wild birds in the UK.

So why, in my previous house, did they spent about 30 minutes each day attacking my neighbours car?

Stupid, dirty, annoying little *******. Looking forward to clearing the farm of them :cool:

Soldato
My family own some land, about 11 or 13 acres, it has a public footpath through it, would I be able to shoot there or would I get in trouble?

We have a few old rifles sitting round and my cousin just bought 1 a week ago.

Associate
I've got a lovely Falcon Raptor mkII (FN19-RB) topped with a Simmons Whitetail Classic 3.5-10 X 50

Don't get to shoot it much any more as I've moved out of the countryside :(
It's a bit depressing shooting rats@8m off the bird table after being able to shoot bottle caps@40m

wnb

wnb

Soldato
I used to have an air rilfle as a teenager, no wilflife was safe on my dads farm:) But that was 30 year ago, would love to join a club but would never find the time.

Soldato
I've got a lovely Falcon Raptor mkII (FN19-RB) topped with a Simmons Whitetail Classic 3.5-10 X 50

Don't get to shoot it much any more as I've moved out of the countryside :(
It's a bit depressing shooting rats@8m off the bird table after being able to shoot bottle caps@40m

I wanted that gun so bad before I got the S410. It looks so damn good (the lightweight version). Nice clear scope too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom