more crackdowns on contractors expected

Caporegime
http://www.cipd.co.uk/pm/peoplemana...-off-payroll-workers-expected-this-month.aspx

The government’s expected clampdown on paying workers via an umbrella company or Personal Service Company (PSC) to pay a lower rate of tax will place a “huge administrative burden” on employers, experts have warned.

Julia Kermode, chief executive of the Freelancer and Contractor Services Association (FCSA), said that any tightening of the rules could force employers to put these individuals onto their payroll as employees.

Her warning came amid reports that chancellor George Osborne will make an announcement in his autumn statement later this month on the use of contractors who work for one company but are set up to avoid paying national insurance contributions.

Under the existing rules, employers also benefit because they end up with smaller national insurance and pensions bills.

To be fair contractors do take the mickey - I know plenty of people working in IT who are essentially short term employees dodging tax. The daily rate in itself is sufficient to compensate for the additional 'risk' not being in a perm role presents - the tax/NI dodging part is a fair target IMO.

"I think for a long time the writing has been on the wall that either the individual needs to be an employee either of the agency or the business that they are working for, rather than going through any other vehicle. If they are working for you solely for any length of time they will probably have to be treated as an employee. Auto enrolment, holiday entitlement and sick leave will all be part of the mix and things like the national minimum wage could all have an impact."

Soldato
I use Umbrella companies, If that went down the pan id go CIS and use an accountants services to just as easily sort my tax and expenses.

Soldato
Or you could just pay tax like everyone else then not feel you're taking the mick using the roads, schools and hospitals we all enjoy.

I pay tax, Just them taxes are then re-used nicely into paying for my fuel and tools i require to do various jobs.

Don't hate it because you can't do it. If we could all screw the taxman im sure we would, it won't last forever and we will all move onto the next legal loophole. When your working 40-60 hours contracting for someone who counts you as a number not an employee i think we deserve something.

Soldato
Umbrella companies are only used by short term contractors.
For the ignorant, an umbrella is basically when you're employed by your accountant PAYE.

This is a clamp down on low paid IT workers basically.. Contractors who earn big bucks are LTD companies as it's more tax efficient.

This is just the government screwing the bottom end of the market, again.

Last edited:
Soldato
i have about 10 contractors in my team, 10 permies and 7 "outsourced". The contractors (I'm the manager) are harder work and more "unionised" than the permies. They are more expensive at the bottom line but the charge rate for an FTE is the same regardless. In simple terms in the bad times they are the first to go regardless of skill (and if there is no permie to do the job instead as the manager I'm in trouble). If they all went perm instead all the lesser performers would go first.

It's a pain in the harris for both parties to have to renegotiate every 6 months.

My life would be easier if it was abolished, although that is at the moment when I am trying to plan 1-3 years ahead. If it was just 6 months they would be really useful.

I do get why they do it though - 80k vs 650 a day and all that. Supply and demand.

On the bigger picture, with the (correct IMHO) approach to cutting down tax "efficiencies" they should not be surprised. Permies & employers pay more tax for the same job, contractors know that and it's thier choice.

EOF

Don
There's nothing particularly wrong in cutting down on tax efficiencies, indeed in my opinion they should just do away with NI and normalise Income Tax and Dividend Tax so there is no tax "avoidance" possible. What's being spoke about is actually to prevent people working for themselves though which is more of a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

Until an announcement though it's all conjecture and rumour.

Either way, I know I pay more tax as a contractor. Maybe I'm too honest and play by the rules!

Soldato
There's nothing particularly wrong in cutting down on tax efficiencies, indeed in my opinion they should just do away with NI and normalise Income Tax and Dividend Tax so there is no tax "avoidance" possible. What's being spoke about is actually to prevent people working for themselves though which is more of a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

Until an announcement though it's all conjecture and rumour.

Either way, I know I pay more tax as a contractor. Maybe I'm too honest and play by the rules!

Claim everything, that mile you do thats a 45p tax deduction.. That clothes washing allowance that can come off your tax bill, Them new screwdrivers you needed to do your job.. They come off your tax bill also!

Its the only way to win

Back
Top Bottom