[Einstein@home] UK Teams Title Race

Soldato
Einstein@home UK Teams Title Race

1. UK BOINC Team 432,741,997 - PPD 280,348
2. OcUK - Overclockers UK 319,895,006 - PPD 300,270
3. University of Glasgow 297,596,653 - PPD 239,761
4. The Scottish Boinc Team 285,012,595 - PPD 273,552

Its just a matter of time until OcUK's Einstein crew claims the Crown.
But it would be preferable to overtake them within my lifetime!

4hlayzN.jpg

SP7cqyT.jpg

PDW

PDW

Associate
We are about 113 million behind.
I'm happy to give it 50 million over the next few months :)
Still leaves another 63 million and that assumes they don't pick up their pace.
When are you planning on dying ?

Soldato
OP
Whatever you can give guys, be good to be the UK no.1 team.
Been on a secret recruiting mission via private messaging on Boinc.
As most will know PCFormat (magazine) is no more, they have 1 biggish active cruncher on thier Einstein team.
Trying to tempt them over but so far no response :(

Associate
I take it the GPU massively out performs a CPU? Might be able to put one of the GTX 980's in my Xeon rig for a while and leave that crunching

Soldato
OP
I can do a bit, trouble is I have a short attention span, especially on GPU projects.

Excellent - you have another problem though - Pumpkinstew - 10 days, Borged by MGP - 94 days :eek:

Excellent :)

I take it the GPU massively out performs a CPU? Might be able to put one of the GTX 980's in my Xeon rig for a while and leave that crunching

Is the Pope Catholic :D and if you could that would be great :D

Joined up with 2 gpu's :)

Wow, getting a great response here, I'm shocked :cool:

I can turn some attention to this but I'm not back home until the 27th to set it up

With what your packing that will suffice :p

Are there any optimised clients for this or just what Einstein downloads when you first sign up?

Not aware of any but I have been away for a little while

MGP

MGP

Soldato
Does anyone realise how long it will take to catch up some 110,000,000 points difference :eek:

Excellent - you have another problem though - Pumpkinstew - 10 days, Borged by MGP - 94 days :eek:

Now if that means Mr Hanluc feels the need to divert his energies here, and his gaze away from Asteroids, perhaps I can reclaim my top spot over there :D

Soldato
OP
Does anyone realise how long it will take to catch up some 110,000,000 points difference :eek:

Hence the comment in the op, but with the 50 million pledge from PDW and the response thats coming in things are looking good :)

Now if that means Mr Hanluc feels the need to divert his energies here, and his gaze away from Asteroids, perhaps I can reclaim my top spot over there :D

Not helping :rolleyes:

Soldato
I added this on boinc but decided to remove it , tasks take to long even with 0.2 cpu + gtx 680

is there any way for it to use a full core aswell as the gpu or any optimized apps? ill try again if there is. otherwise hours for tasks that give only a few points isn't something that interests me

Soldato
OP
As a guide you get about 600 points for a cpu wu and about 4000 for a gpu wu.
I do both - 2 gpu + 8 cpu - your spec would produce a very respectable PPD.
Dont be a credit tart :p - crunch Einstein :cool:

Soldato

I'm afraid I can multi task :p esp. when one is primarily CPU and the other GPU, but I'm out of asteroids for a bit, you need to be more concern about Mr PDW.

Are there any optimised clients for this or just what Einstein downloads when you first sign up?

No optisimed app AFAIK but you can optisimed your GPU performance at your preference page by running more than one task at a time, I've found that running one WU is best for a 290 but 2 at a time is better for a 7970 & 7950. Default is 1, 0.5 =2 tasks, 0.33=3 tasks .. etc.

Bah lightweights :p

Not helping :rolleyes:

It's just a bit of friendly bantah

MGP

MGP

Soldato
I'm afraid I can multi task :p esp. when one is primarily CPU and the other GPU, but I'm out of asteroids for a bit, you need to be more concern about Mr PDW.

If PDW wants to direct he resources as Einstein too, that would be nice :cool:

No optisimed app AFAIK but you can optisimed your GPU performance at your preference page by running more than one task at a time, I've found that running one WU is best for a 290 but 2 at a time is better for a 7970 & 7950. Default is 1, 0.5 =2 tasks, 0.33=3 tasks .. etc.

I've found my GTX970 is quite happy working 2 Einsteins at once. No benefit giving it more CPU power, the only CPU it needs is enough to feed the GPU that's actually doing the work. In that respect the Einstein GPU is quite well suited. But the 970 is on a gaming rig that I can no longer afford to run 24/7 so my output is a bit curtailed. Even so Einstein has been it's preferred project for a while now.

It's just a bit of friendly bantah

Who said anything about being friendly :p

Associate

Which of these, or all of them, do I change from 1 to 0.5 to run 2 wu's at a t ime on my 980ti ?

lR0cate.jpg

Soldato
Which of these, or all of them, do I change from 1 to 0.5 to run 2 wu's at a t ime on my 980ti ?

I believe it's just the BRP ones being dished out, but there's no harm in changing all of them.
I also have (Arecibo, GPU) unchecked and I just do (Parkes PMPS XT) as I found them to be more productive, well this is what I found a while ago, don't know if it's any different now.

EDIT: It's still true, I looked at 'Stephen Ord's' GTX 660 Ti machine.

Binary Radio Pulsar Search (Arecibo, GPU) runtime 2,450 secs for 1,000 credit (35,265 PPD)
Binary Radio Pulsar Search (Parkes PMPS XT) runtime 6,450 secs for 4,400 credit (58,939 PPD)

At the risk of being called a points tart, uncheck (Arecibo, GPU)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom