Anyone used Music Magpie?

Associate
Hi All,

Myself and the girlfriend have recently had a big sort out of stuff we don't want/use anymore. We've tried selling quite a few DVD's on ebay, some have gone but we still have quite a few left.

I just wondered if anyone had used Music Magpie and what their service was like. I'm not expecting a lot for these but just wanted to make sure they're a decent company to deal with.

Cheers

Chris

Man of Honour
Used them about two months ago to clear some stuff I didn't want to take when moving. Prices are usually peanuts but they do have a few weird expensive titles that they're after (one random PS3 title was worth about £12). Courier came to pick them up and money was in my account a few days later so not bad at all when you need to get rid of stuff.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies.

Waiting for the payment isn't to bad as i'm used to waiting a while for topcashback which can take a while.

Like I said not expecting a lot, but something is better than just chucking them I suppose.

Man of Honour
Used it years ago to get rid of all my physical stuff, absolutely fine but rubbish prices. However some money is better than no money. Ebay etc is never worth it by the time you buy jiffy bags and pay fees, might as well just get 30p each in an easy an non time consuming way.

Soldato
Used them not too long ago and got about £30 back.

A few DVDs they stated did not work so they refused to pay or send back. I know these to work just fine, but for £1-2 I did not chase up.

Soldato
I just ran 38 DVD's through them yesterday and they wanted to pay me around £10.
To be honest my initial reaction was no way. Obviously over the years I'd paid a lot more for these DVD's.
But then I did some maths - to buy "padded envelopes" I'm looking (when buying 50) at around 14p each.
Postage - 2nd class "large letter" which just about covers the DVD (100g limit which you can get close to) is 74p.
So materials alone you are at around 90p.
I then popped onto Ebay and I find at least 2 of the DVD's I'm looking to sell advertised at 99p delivered.
How these people can do that and make anything I don't know - but makes the whole point moot really.
By the time you factor in postage and materials - music magpie might offer rock bottom prices, but seems the better option.

Associate
They'll rip you off, then in a lot of cases will quibble once they've received the item(s) and will then take a while to pay. That said, what other options do you have?

My advice would be to just do it, though if any value at truly ridiculously low amounts, stick them in a charity shop instead :)

P.S. "They" is not exclusive to Music Magpie, they're largely all the same!

Soldato
I used them a few years ago as well with no real issues. Dropped off the boxes at a local pickup point and got the money a few days later.

Associate
OP
But then I did some maths - to buy "padded envelopes" I'm looking (when buying 50) at around 14p each.
Postage - 2nd class "large letter" which just about covers the DVD (100g limit which you can get close to) is 74p.
So materials alone you are at around 90p.
I then popped onto Ebay and I find at least 2 of the DVD's I'm looking to sell advertised at 99p delivered.

With the DVD's we've sold, the buyer paid the P&P which helped, we also made a little money on it too! But that said I think going down the route of them buying them all is just easier.

If it's anything <£10 for all of them, then might as well donate them to a charity shop etc...

Associate
The girlfriend and I sold our entire cd & dvd collection 3 years ago, and for ease just sold it all to music magpie, really couldn't be bothered trying to sell it all through eBay. Really easy, scanned everything in using our phones, boxed it all up and dropped off at one of the local pickup points and had the money a few days later.

Associate
I'd rather keep them, no matter how old. If you want to save space just bin the cases and keep the discs in a book wallet thing.

I'm an anti hoarder, if I don't need it any more and never will then it's going in the bin or being sold. I hate clutter or keeping stuff for the sake of it.

Soldato
Yeah. TBH I wouldn't recommend it except as a last resort/clearout option. If you think they're worth anything at all flog 'em on fleabay or wherever.

Sent an entire box approx 12" packed with CD's all VGC/mint condition they agree a price and knock some more off claiming theres something wrong with some of them even though they aren't. Got around £20 which for at least half a day's work entering all the ISBN codes on their website, boxing, wrapping everything barely seems worth it, but if you've got boxes of the stuff it may be worth it and better than ending up in landfill I guess.

Back
Top Bottom