Florida Over Christmas & New Year

Soldato
I'm going to be in Florida from the 24th until the 4th January and trying to make some sort of plan. I'm flying into Orlando and will be in that area mainly, but thinking of driving down to Miami for a couple of days and then maybe to the Everglades. I might go to a theme park or 2 but I've heard they get very busy so may avoid it. The main purpose of the trip is to spend Christmas with my wife's family and New Year with mine, but aside from that we don't have much planned. Any suggestions? I'd like to maybe fit a couple of scuba dives in and an Everglades tour.

Soldato
The theme parks and shopping malls are awesome at that time of year but you're right - they can get very busy.

Also, be prepared for it to be very weird seeing Christmas decorations whilst wearing shorts baking in the heat :D

Man of Honour
The Florida Keys are worth a visit. Everything else was very underwhelming, my least favourite state. The Everglades felt very overrated, Miami wasn't brilliant (Honestly I think I preferred Tampa!) but the Key's were very, very good indeed.

Head down to Key West on the Overseas Highway. It's really incredible and Key West is a great chilled out town, too.

Soldato
OP
I might go down to the Keys. I went about 14 years ago from Orlando down to Key West and enjoyed it, but it was with parents and siblings and very family orientated. I'll be in New York the week before to get a bit more of a Christmassy feeling :) Currently thinking of driving from Orlando to Miami, then the Everglades and then the Keys.
If Florida is your least favourite state, you should really check out Wyoming or Delaware :p

Soldato
[TW]Fox;28863352 said:
The Florida Keys are worth a visit. Everything else was very underwhelming, my least favourite state. The Everglades felt very overrated, Miami wasn't brilliant (Honestly I think I preferred Tampa!) but the Key's were very, very good indeed.

Head down to Key West on the Overseas Highway. It's really incredible and Key West is a great chilled out town, too.

I second this. The Keys are very, very nice, pretty good drive there too.

I wasn't a fan of Miami or Orlando. The only reason I'd go anywhere near Orlando was if I was visiting one of the theme parks.

Have you thought about going to the Kennedy Space Centre?

Fox, you must not have been to Kansas... Try driving between Kansas City and Denver.

Soldato
OP
I second this. The Keys are very, very nice, pretty good drive there too.

I wasn't a fan of Miami or Orlando. The only reason I'd go anywhere near Orlando was if I was visiting one of the theme parks.

Have you thought about going to the Kennedy Space Centre?

Fox, you must not have been to Kansas... Try driving between Kansas City and Denver.

Good call, I shall add that to the list.

Back
Top Bottom