Anyine been to the TT?

Caporegime
We want to go to next year's TT. Have no idea how to get there, where to stay, costs involved, etc etc.

My wife did a bit of research and found that the ferry is only taking people on foot. Not sure if this is because it's booked or because it's just not a good idea to drive as the island will probably be stuffed to the brim.

Loads of people camp apparently, having never really camped before, what are the facilities like? I've booked a hotel but can cancel as it's still early bit it was the last room so may change plans.

No idea. Any help please lovely wonderful people of GD?

:D

Soldato
re the ferries, yes most will probably already be pre booked for vehicles, but you're right you don't wanna be trying to navigate the island by vehicle at that time of year.

pretty much the only passenger ferries in and out of the IOM are run by the Isle of Man Steam Packet Co. and come the TT prices are straight through the roof. the other problem is that a lot of the folks that go to it rebook literally the minute they get off the ferry on their return crossing - I used to work for them so know the madness that is the TT season! they used to come of the ferry back into Belfast and want to give us money to hold bookings even though the system didn't even show sailings for the following year!!

never been, but from speaking to visitors, accommodation is much the same - booked up to a year in advance. everything from hotels to B&B's and campsites. if you've go an hotel - keep it. campsites will be manic, to be fair so will the hotels. it is often likened to a carnival atmosphere

Soldato
You can fly there from London, about 200-300 quid. But accommodation will be sparse and expensive

Accommodation is ridiculous during the TT. Luckily my Sister's fiancé, who goes nearly every year and who I tag along with sometimes, has friends who live on the island who can put us up free of charge. :cool:

Soldato
The Mrs went a couple years back for the 100th anniversary and crashed with a friend who lives on the Island... Despite saving up for ages, by the end of it both of them were still utterly broke - Mrs from the costs as expected, but Friend just from how much the local prices jumped up!

I'd love to go one time, but with the tourist trap price mentality they can just go do one and I'll stay home to watch on TV, thanks...

Caporegime
OP
The Mrs went a couple years back for the 100th anniversary and crashed with a friend who lives on the Island... Despite saving up for ages, by the end of it both of them were still utterly broke - Mrs from the costs as expected, but Friend just from how much the local prices jumped up!

I'd love to go one time, but with the tourist trap price mentality they can just go do one and I'll stay home to watch on TV, thanks...

Oh I expect the price gouging to be on a whole different level, but I know in advance so I can come with enough wedge to make sure I have a good time :D

Soldato
Closer to the Edge is good, but no onboard vids on the dvd that i can remember:(

dont't worry the music is only an intro, the jumps are amazing :)

Soldato
TT is like nothing else on earth. It's unique. If it didn't have over 100 years of history it would be banned/never be allowed these days.

We go every year and have done everything from camping to renting an apartment. Even camping isn't cheap, but it's not crazy expensive really. Plenty of home stay places for £35 a night each. You'll find ferrys currently booked, but places will become available at the end of February when people don't pay their balances. Getting around the island is fine by bike - otherwise car hire is ok but you will get swamped by bikes in Douglas! If you're fit you could cycle!

My one recommendation is not to be tempted by the corporate hospitality. The TT is all about sitting in a hedge with a radio, going to Bushys for a beer and watching the Purple Helmets!

Soldato
It depends when you want to come and go as far as getting here is concerned. Anything from the 1st-4th June is pretty much gone and leaving from the 10th-15th is the same. Unless you want to try your hand a getting a cancellation on the 7th March (ring at around 8:15 as they tend to open them earlier that day) I'd honestly just recommend coming for practice week and some of race week and watch the Senior Race on TV.

Back
Top Bottom