Skylake MSI GT72 - unacceptable lightbleed/flashlighting

Associate
Hey guys,

So yesterday I received my new Skylake GT72, one of the exclusives from Overclockers:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-gt72s-6qe-265uk-dominator-pro-17.3-fhd-ips-g-sync-intel-i7-6700hq-nvidia-gtx-980m-4gb-gddr5-g-lt-224-ms.html

My initial impressions are that almost everything about this laptop is great. Lightning fast, runs incredibly cool and quiet during idle/normal operation, and although I haven't gamed on it yet, I'm sure its performance will be the least of my worries.

However - and I really wish there wasn't a "however" - I have noticed that there is, at least from what I can tell, pretty severe lightbleeding and flashlighting coming from all 4 corners of the screen. Now I know the nature of IPS panels and that some bleeding is pretty much always unavoidable, and honestly I'm not fanatical about it - both my Dell Inspiron laptop and Sony Bravia TV have it to a some degree and I accept that. But to me this seems excessive and likely the result of poor manufacturing, given that by applying slight pressure to areas of the panel, especially the top left hand corner, the bleeding disappears from that area entirely.

Anyway, here are a few pics to illustrate...

Dark room, brightness 100%:

night1.jpg

Dark room, close up, brightness 100%:

nightclose.jpg

Dark room, brightness 30%:

night30.jpg

Bright room:

day1.jpg

Bright room, close up (ignore the top half of the screen, as those patterns are caused by glare, however on the bottom corners you can still clearly see the flashlighting in non-dark conditions):

day2.jpg

Obviously the first couple of pictures are near worst case scenarios, but what I can say is that the bleed is very noticeable during dark movie scenes, especially the top left corner which almost looks like a faint yellow sun illuminating the frame, and that the bleeding can also be seen during bright daytime conditions, but only against a black screen.

So, what do you guys think? Would this be acceptable to you on a £1800 laptop? I'm pretty disappointed by it. Any and all opinions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Associate
OP
Update: OK, so I got curious and brave and removed the bezel for a closer look (being extremely careful not to break anything!) And to my surprise, with the bezel off, the bleeding is basically 100% eliminated. I loaded up a dark scene from one of the Batman films, in a dark room, and it was perfect, no problems whatsoever. So seemingly the problem is caused by the bezel applying pressure to the screen? Because sadly after reattaching the bezel the problem returns.

If anybody has any experience with this or suggestions on how to fix (short of leaving the bezel off) please feel free to share :) Thanks!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hi If you need any help in getting this sent off for repair please drop me a line.
Hi Loki,

Thanks a lot! I'll see what it's like over the next week or so. Like I said, the screen itself is perfect, it's just the bezel pressing on it causing problems.

Apart from this one issue though, the laptop is otherwise fantastic and I'd have no hesitation recommending MSI.

Associate
Hi briggm. Today I received my GS60 6QE. I read your post yesterday and was interested to see what mine would be like.

I found that mine too has this issue after I have a fullscreen black image. To be honest I wouldnt have thought of pressing in the back cover but you're right it does remove the bleeding.

I went to take photos of mine with my phone but found that the photos make it look drastically worse. I havent played any games on the laptop yet as ive just been getting it set up and installing stuff.

At this stage im not sure if its going to drive me nuts or what and im wondering what Loki means when he talks about sending it for repair. Is this something you guys can fix?

Associate
OP
Hi briggm. Today I received my GS60 6QE. I read your post yesterday and was interested to see what mine would be like.

I found that mine too has this issue after I have a fullscreen black image. To be honest I wouldnt have thought of pressing in the back cover but you're right it does remove the bleeding.

I went to take photos of mine with my phone but found that the photos make it look drastically worse. I havent played any games on the laptop yet as ive just been getting it set up and installing stuff.

At this stage im not sure if its going to drive me nuts or what and im wondering what Loki means when he talks about sending it for repair. Is this something you guys can fix?
Hey frosty. Before thinking about that I'd suggest using it for awhile and seeing whether the lightbleed is intrusive and noticeable during normal use. All these LCD type screens have bleeding to some degree, but if it only ever shows up when you're looking at a black screen that may not end up being a problem for you. Mine has been bugging me because if I watch a film with dark scenes like The Dark Knight it's quite noticable - however yours may not be. For instance, my Sony Bravia TV displays lightbleed when looking at a completely black screen at night, but during normal use i.e. dark scenes in films its barely if at all noticeable and therefore it doesn't bother me.

So maybe give it awhile, as the last thing you want is to be without your brand new laptop for an unspecified amount of time :)

Associate
I have not posted before. I was debating whether to get an MSI GT72S

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-gt72s-6qe-264uk-dominator-po-17.3-fhd-ips-g-sync-intel-i7-6820hk-nvidia-gtx-980m-8gb-gddr5-ga-lt-223-ms.html

or wait for the new ASUS G752VY. When OC reduced the price of their exclusive 32gb by £200 to make it cheaper than the 16gb plus adding the extra years warranty and headset, that was enough for me to choose MSI. However before placing my order I had noticed this thread and it concerns me two guys have had the same problem. There is clearly not a component fault, it is just the way that the bezel has been fitted. Whether intrusive or not, the screen should not be affected by how the bezel is fitted.

Has anyone else had these issues and if I do go ahead and buy, will OC treat this as a faulty product if I make the purchase and I get the same issue?

Last edited:
Associate
I have not posted before. I was debating whether to get an MSI GT72S

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-gt72s-6qe-264uk-dominator-po-17.3-fhd-ips-g-sync-intel-i7-6820hk-nvidia-gtx-980m-8gb-gddr5-ga-lt-223-ms.html

or wait for the new ASUS G752VY. When OC reduced the price of their exclusive 32gb by £200 to make it cheaper than the 16gb plus adding the extra years warranty and headset, that was enough for me to choose MSI. However before placing my order I had noticed this thread and it concerns me two guys have had the same problem. There is clearly not a component fault, it is just the way that the bezel has been fitted. Whether intrusive or not, the screen should not be affected by how the bezel is fitted.

Has anyone else had these issues and if I do go ahead and buy, will OC treat this as a faulty product if I make the purchase and I get the same issue?

Hmmmm don't like the reply above from loki talking about a repair on a new comp, as with me I'am after the one below, I can hold off till x-mas so will watch this thread closely.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-...hq-nvidia-gtx-980m-4gb-gddr5-g-lt-224-ms.html

Associate
I too have this issue. Whats the Bezel? I was thinking I may give this a whirl to reduce it. Also have you had it when you boot up it just goes to all pretty colours and not into windows itself? MSI support told me to update the BIO's as Gsync didnt work (kept flickering black to graphics and black again). Have you had this issue when playing games?

Associate
Just posting to say I had the same problem though perhaps not as severe. I too removed the bezel and found the screen to be perfect without it.

I found I could fit the bezel back in place but just leave certain areas unclipped to prevent the most offensive areas from appearing.

I would also note I never run the screen above 30% brightness. Seriously, anymore and Google burns my eyes.

Associate
OP
Hey guys,

For comparison, I meant to post a couple of pictures I took when I removed the bezel.

As you can see, virtually zero bleeding!

IMG_20151106_234410.jpg

IMG_20151106_234448.jpg

Unfortunately once you reattach it, the bad light is back with a vengeance :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I contacted Overclockers about this issue and they've responded by giving me a number for MSI and saying that all warranty claims on these are handled by them. I haven't had a chance to contact MSI yet, but based on Loki's post upthread it sounds like I could be looking at a repair on a new laptop. Ugh.

Associate
To be honest, I don't see how they can fix it. The panel is mounted to the lid case and the bleed is caused by the bezel pinching the screen when in place. Short of removing the panel and "lowering" the mounting points so the screen sits further back into the lid, the bezel will always do this to some extent. When I had my bezel off I half heartedly looked at if this would be feasible but as it was so new at the time I didn't go to the extent of stripping out the panel too.

This possibly occurs because when this laptop chassis was designed they used a different panel. The original was a TN. I bought mine nearly a year ago when they refreshed with IPS. Now they are using yet another IPS panel apparently.

The panel only needs to be 1mm thicker for this problem to creep in....if they didn't change the tooling that makes the lid.

Edit: Though as I said above, I did manage to fit my bezel back carefully and nearly eliminate all of it.

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks for the reply. I've not seen Loki about and I pinged him an e-mail the other day. Is the Bezel easy to get off? May try that to fix it instead of losing all my data if Ihave to send it back to MSI!

Associate
I was looking forward to ording my MSI for xmas but after keeping upto date with this thread I'am not about to spend £2200 on a laptop with a manufacturing problem.

Associate
Another thing I had a Gsync Issue and I know MSI told me to update the BIO's I still have bleeding but has anyone else tried this? Did it help or did you have no issues with G-Sync to start with?

Back
Top Bottom