Asus X99 SABERTOOTH - yay or nay?

Soldato
About to finalise the components for my new X99 build this next week. As the cornerstone/ MB, my current favourite for various reasons is the Asus Sabertooth X99. Just want to check the general opinion on here?......

P.S. Looking to pair it with the 5930k (with the recent Black friday discounts :)) and as I'm a fan / user of Corsair ram in the past, this particular DDR4 Quad 16GB 3000Hz kit here https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cors...el-kit-black-cmk16gx4m4b3000c1-my-430-cs.html which is listed as 'officially' compatible on the X99 Sabertooth specs PDF is my current pick of the bunch and v well priced.

Good choice/ anything else I should know/ be aware of?

Associate
Don't tell me you also bought a noctua dh14 cooler too? If so, we bought the exact same things! :p

Can't help with opinion much as I don't have it set up yet but from what I've gathered its a good board overall - just keep an eye on the CPU voltage as I have read concerns of the OC socket trying to nuke the chip without you knowing.

Associate
I've got one with a 5820k, really great board, but as Hiijinx states there have been a few reports of the oc socket suddenly putting too many volts through the cpu. I've not experienced this as I set manual voltage (not certain if that's the reason or not)

Also with most 3000mhz ram the xmp profile will set a 125cpu strap which means you cannot use adaptive voltage in the bios. But again I've not experienced any issues with this
and even 8pack suggests to start with xmp profile for overclocking.

Overall I like the extra warranty it comes with and Just so happens to be the best looking board imo.

Soldato
OP
Cheers guys that's really good to know, think I'm definitely going to get it (unless this fabled x99 bundle special tomorrow is particularly sweet and amazing value. Somehow I doubt it will be).

CPU cooler is actually a Corsair H100i and it's all going in the gorgeous Lian Li pc08 case (https://www.overclockers.co.uk/lian-li-pc-o8wx-atx-cube-case-black-ca-722-ll.html) which I'm a bit in love with looks-wise (though it's still in the box).

It's partly why I like the sabertooth, for the muted colour scheme and robust design looks. Can't stand all this garish yellow, orange, red and neon trend at the moment. Not just looks though obviously, want a solid reliable board that overclocks well too.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Ive got one and its been a nice board. No issues and clocked my 5820k to 4.5ghz right away :).

That's what I like to hear! :)

How easy is it to overclock with fella? I've been used to/ spoilt by my Asrock board that makes things very very easy (i.e. one click presets to get my 2600k to 4.4 or 4.6 and even 4.8)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Well I've ordered it this morning along with a 5930k and some corsiar ddr4 quad 3000hz ram.

Was waiting to see what the cyber Monday x99 deal was like, and as I already have some of the parts included in that, and I don't like gigabyte motherboards, it's not for me. Great offer though has to be said.

Back
Top Bottom