What film did you watch last night?

Associate
Grizzly Man. Werner Herzog's documentary about Timothy Treadwell, a self-proclaimed bear expert who lived with wild bears for 13 summers in Alaska... Until he was eaten by a bear. A fascinating study of a bizarre character, who tbh I ended up not having much sympathy for. Despite his obvious problems he shot some great stuff, and I am pleased that Herzog got hold of it and was able to make this film, as it is a story worth telling.

One of the best documentaries I've ever seen.

9/10

Btw the whole doc is on YouTube if anyone wants to watch it.

God I remember watching that I think it was on Chanel 4 a few years ago, really disturbing. I don't understand how people can get so comfortable with animals it's so strange to me and he was such an odd duck, the way he kept saying "I love you" was so weird. It's interesting to see how many supporters he had back then but I also wonder how many people really challenged him too.

Caporegime
Grizzly Man. Werner Herzog's documentary about Timothy Treadwell, a self-proclaimed bear expert who lived with wild bears for 13 summers in Alaska... Until he was eaten by a bear. A fascinating study of a bizarre character, who tbh I ended up not having much sympathy for. Despite his obvious problems he shot some great stuff, and I am pleased that Herzog got hold of it and was able to make this film, as it is a story worth telling,and whatever you think about him, his footage deserves to be seen and his story deserves to be told.

One of the best documentaries I've ever seen.

9/10

^^ +1

Another fine piece of work from Herzog, sensitively filmed and exceptionally well researched. Very chilling in places, too.

Man of Honour
The book of WWZ is fantastic. The film is dire. But I've read the book several times which is very unusual for me. It's definitely worth it.

I'm still totally gutted by this, there was zero reason to do what they do. Writers, producers and directors should never find work again.
There was so many good ways they could if done it, but no. They just used the name to sale tickets. It bares no resemblance to the book.

Soldato
I'm still totally gutted by this, there was zero reason to do what they do. Writers, producers and directors should never find work again.
There was so many good ways they could if done it, but no. They just used the name to sale tickets. It bares no resemblance to the book.

Same here.
I live in the hope that one day, it'll get proper justice done to it with a decently budgeted mini-series or something.

Soldato
I think a 6-10 episode HBO mini-series (like Band of Brothers etc) would be the only way to do the WWZ book justice as a movie isn't long enough to include all the awesomeness (as proven).

Anyway, back on Topic -

V for Vendetta - 8/10 - An amazing film with some fantastic performances from the cast. I only have one minor niggle, at some point during Evie's capture (esp head shaving scene) she "must" have seen either V's hands or face which would have given the game away.

Soldato
Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials

Not bad I guess but so many illogical plot holes that I found myself laughing in parts! :p
Also, was it really necessary to jump on board with the recent zombie apocalypse trend!?!?

A generous 7/10 because it's the weekend and I'm in a good mood! :D

So many ridiculous scenes though, a night club with alcohol, drugs and nice women? I thought it was supposed to be a post apocalyptic world?

Man of Honour
I think a 6-10 episode HBO mini-series (like Band of Brothers etc) would be the only way to do the WWZ book justice as a movie isn't long enough to include all the awesomeness (as proven).

Although you couldn't include all the awesomeness.

I would have done it as flash blacks. It would have even been acceptable to have say brad pit in a ptsd shrink setting telling what happened.

I would have started of with the Chinese doctor scene, and would have included the big battle in America, can't remember what it was called. It could be an awesome film. Films can never include everything a book has, a book is about 16hrs long. But they could have easily picked a dozen important and diverse stories.

Soldato

The film ended up so different I wonder why they even bothered with paying for the book rights. While the film is getting the sequel it simply won't be anything like the book. Bearing in mind what your average film goer looks for in a film it was always in danger of being changed too much on the big screen.

To be done properly it definitely need a solid, well made and nicely budgeted mini series.

Soldato
Rocky Balboa 8/10

So finished up my Rocky week last night. A real good ending to the whole thing. Always feel sad when I watch this movie.

Soldato
I'd say 8/10 or thereabouts. It was quite effective emotionally and quite a good story. I liked the fact that it does something that you'd really struggle to do with live action, which is something all of Pixar's best films have done.

great I will give it a watch, I was deciding between watching inside out and minions tonight, so will give inside out a go.

Back
Top Bottom