PS4 > This Cannot Be True ! ! !

Permabanned
PS4 and Xbox One won’t support your expensive third-party headset – for now , now that will **** me off

If you’ve invested in a nice wireless headset for the next-gen launch, prepare for some bad news. Unfortunately, the majority of third-party and wireless headsets will not work with the PS4 or Xbox One at launch. While Sony does plan on releasing compatibility patches down the road, and Microsoft will eventually release an adapter to enable other headsets, this news leaves a rancid taste in the mouths of many core gamers who have already invested in fancy headsets that they can no longer use with the PS4 or Xbox One.

Eurogamer is reporting that both Sony-branded headsets and the Pulse headsets will not work on day one, but will receive a patch at a later time. Likewise, USB-based voice chat solutions will eventually be added with a system update. Headsets using digital optical interfaces will work at launch, but Bluetooth headsets won’t work at all — there isn’t even any word about future plans for support. Sony hasn’t explained why something as relatively simple as Bluetooth voice chat won’t work, but there are a few ideas bouncing around the internet.

The most cynical explanation is that Sony wants to encourage users to buy all-new headsets for the PS4. Sure, accessory margins are nice and cushy, but then why promise support for some models down the road? Perhaps, the better guess involves a lack of engineering and testing resources. When you’re adding different wireless technologies to the mix, there could potentially be interference issues. Since Sony has all hands on deck getting ready to launch an entirely new platform, it doesn’t have the manpower to implement and test solutions for a wide variety of headsets. If an oddball headset has the possibility of interfering with the controller or WiFi signal, Sony likely doesn’t want to deal with that customer service nightmare.

When the Xbox One was announced, Microsoft tried to sell the Kinect as the be-all, end-all of voice chatting. Eventually, the Xbox team broke down, and included a headset in the box. Sadly, the headset situation isn’t much better on the Xbox One either. If you’ve invested in a nice headset for the Xbox 360, that won’t work with the Xbox One until Microsoft issues an adaptor. It looks like you’ll be stuck with the cheap pack-in or the Kinect’s microphone during the launch window.

Recently, Business Spectator reported that Sony waffled heavily behind the scenes on the topic of its Kinect competitor. Sony was dead-set on making that $399 asking price without having to take a bath on each unit sold. In the end, the PlayStation Camera was separated from the console, and that gives Microsoft a slight advantage in terms of input. Voice chat works out of the box on the Xbox One, but the PS4 will need a $60 add-on to enable headset-free chatting. Is that worth the $100 savings? Sony seems to think so.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Strong c+p of article bro, why not just link to it :p?

Also, these are new consoles... which means new accessories. It's the same reason old games won't work on the new consoles and old controllers won't work, they can make money out of it by selling you something new, or by selling you the same stuff again. I am sure it's nothing more than this, and if they really wanted to be unnecessarily nice to the consumer and include compatibility for old devices (shafting themselves out of a nice chunk of cash) then I'm pretty certain they could have.

Soldato
Turtle Beach have headsets for sale already compatible for the XO, i guess they either have the adapter built in, or it's available at launch.

The Sony issue is a pain, as i always use my headset at night to keep the noise down.

Last edited:
Soldato
Luckily I've got a wired Turtle Beach headset for the 360 that I'm hoping will work with the PS4.

Voice chat works out of the box on the Xbox One, but the PS4 will need a $60 add-on to enable headset-free chatting.

Except you get an earpiece+mic with the PS4 to chat to people. I'd much rather use on of those than try and shout at Kinect or the PS Camera.

Last edited:
Associate
I was reading only bluetooth and USB headsets wont work...

My turtle beach uses the optical out which supposedly will be fine and I can use a cable from my headset to controller for voice... so not all bad!!

Then they will patch bluetooth voice later, this is PS4 related, not sure what the situation is with Xbox

Associate
I use the Turtle Beach PX5's with my PS3. They're wireless and use optical, so should be OK?

ive got exactly the same for the same console. im hoping that it does work as well :/ but when i asked turtlebeach about it they said they had no information. just yesterday though if you check their facebook profile, they have released a PX4, which they say is fully compatible with the PS4...

Associate
Well the headset uses optical out so I don't see how/why it wouldn't work... We won't be able to use the mic for chat straight away as that's bluetooth, but other than that technically it's just a sound device using the optical port.

Caporegime
I'd be very surprised if there was a massive market for such things (dedicated gaming headsets like Astro's and Turtle Beach) back in 2005.

they have been used on pc for decades, i also used one on the ps2 and xbox 1, therefore yes there was a massive market for these things at launch as they had been around before on previous consoles.

I use the Turtle Beach PX5's with my PS3. They're wireless and use optical, so should be OK?

my logitech's are also wireless, but they use RCA via the AV port (which has been removed from the PS4) for game sound and USB for voice chat (which is not supported currently on the PS4).

the RRP of my headset was like £140 as well iirc.

i think it's time i flung it on ebay and bought a wired USB headset to tide me over.

it can work on a PC, 360 and a PS3 at the same time, the hub has inputs for all 3, you just select which input you want to use it with. therefore i imagine it still has a demand, will sell it when i switch to ps4, but this time, i will buy a much cheaper wired headset (if they become compatible).

Caporegime
I get the impression Sony are trying to force support of the newer BT 4/Smart standard which most BT headsets wont support; seems curious the Pulses are gonna be supported but I cant get any substantial info that confirms they support BT 4 too aswell as BT 2 for the PS3...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Back
Top Bottom