Gaining motorway CCTV footage

Soldato
Hi guys,

Does anyone know how I should go about trying to obtain CCTV footage taken of motorways.

And does anyone know how long the footage is kept for before it's deleted?

Cheers.

Man of Honour
technically if its recorded you "should" be able to get a copy of it under the data protection act - paying a max of £10 (iirc) for the privaledge. However thats dependant how long they actually keep the tapes for and if you can prove it was you (which shouldn't be too much of an issue as you were in a car...) although they may well try and get out of it.... the other problem you'll have is getting the actual incident (if there is one) on the tape you request - unless you know the exact time and location of the incident...

Soldato
Probably best speaking to the Highways Agency, but I think you've probably left it too late, thats if it was even caught on camera.

Soldato
OP
Cheers for the replies guys.

The other party has said that he'd already tried to get hold of the footage shortly after the incident but it was deleted after 7 days.

7 days sounds like quite a short period for the footage to be kept for, so I was just thinking that maybe he had got hold of the footage and it'd shown the car tailgating me... something which would put the scenario in my favour.

I'll give the Highways Agency a ring and see what they say.

Caporegime
agw_01 said:
7 days sounds like quite a short period for the footage to be kept for, so I was just thinking that maybe he had got hold of the footage and it'd shown the car tailgating me... something which would put the scenario in my favour.

Not really Andy, it will show your actions too so it wont exactly be in anyones favour in my opinion.

Soldato
OP
Well, that's true Simon, but at the moment there's no proof that I was being tailgaited and thus intimidating me to get out of the way.

I mean, I can say that I was, but the driver of the car tailgaiting me isn't exactly going to say he was tailgaiting.

So it could be argued that I changed lanes for no reason, which of course is false.

Caporegime
agw_01 said:
Well, that's true Simon, but at the moment there's no proof that I was being tailgaited and thus intimidating me to get out of the way.

I mean, I can say that I was, but the driver of the car tailgaiting me isn't exactly going to say he was tailgaiting.

So it could be argued that I changed lanes for no reason, which of course is false.

Tailgating isn't a reason to change lanes though. I don't want to get into to details here but you were accelerating hard from a services and a car behind you was faster.

Even so a lane change should have been checked like any other regardless of circumstances.

Soldato
I have no idea what the actual situation is, but from what i gather someones persuing a claim against you, right? Are you in touch with a solicitor or is it just going back and forth between insurance companies at the moment?

Soldato
OP
Serj said:
I have no idea what the actual situation is, but from what i gather someones persuing a claim against you, right? Are you in touch with a solicitor or is it just going back and forth between insurance companies at the moment?

Yep and just insurance companies. Although the other party has got his solicitor involved.

Simon, if you mean checking blind spots, I did... twice.

Anyway, I know where you're coming from so let's leave it at that :)

Cheers for the input.

Permabanned
Hi,

I don't know the ins and outs, but what I can tell you is that under the DP law dealing with CCTV, they only need to keep the data for 7 days. The same reel / tape / storgae is then reset for the 8th day (i.e. Mondays tape overwrites the previous Monday, tuesday overwrites the previous Tuesday, etc, etc)

Hope that helps

Caporegime
not that its of much help

but i purposely make tail gaters wait for precisely this kind of reason. That its not wise to change lanes in a rush to get out of their way.

better for them to go into the back of you ( and it be automatically their fault) than for you to hit some1 else getting out of the way and be at fault yourself.

if they try and undertake, just accelerate and close the gap. because if the gap isnt big enough for you to pull over safely, then it wont be big enough for them to undertake you.

Associate
if they try and undertake, just accelerate and close the gap. because if the gap isnt big enough for you to pull over safely, then it wont be big enough for them to undertake you.

Or just back off and let the **** continue on his way without further provoking him to drive like a ***

Caporegime
depends on the situation i guess

if there was a clear road ahead of me, then i most probably would back off and let him by

but im not going to let some wreckess idiot pull into my braking distance when theres traffic in front of me going the same speed.

Soldato
Can't see how you can prove you were being tailgated, do you not have any witnesses? Does he have witnesses to agree with his side of the story?

If you were at fault as result of his actions, but these can't be proved, I would accept blame and learn from it. You need concrete evidence when it comes to insurance companies.

Caporegime
and tbh you will most probably still be at fault

as unless you were physically rammed off the road, then your liable for making a manoevre without checking your mirrors properly.

being tailgated or not, he did not physically cause you to crash. he caused you to panic, which in turn led to the crash, so hes not actually at fault.

insurance companies are very funny like this. i was hit on the wrong side of the road by a woman who crossed the white lines. she claimed i came too fast round the corner, i maintained that she was too far over and produced photos of the skid marks to proove it

but aparently as their were no indpendant witness' neither insurance company was willing to fight it, so we both had to claim on our own insurance policys (also known as knock for knock)

unless its concrete, the insurance companies dont want to know.

Soldato
Yeah exactly what MrLOL said. I can't remember what the highway code says exactly, but its along the lines of ignoring them or pulling over when its safe to do so.

Soldato
OP
Oxbow said:
Hi,

I don't know the ins and outs, but what I can tell you is that under the DP law dealing with CCTV, they only need to keep the data for 7 days. The same reel / tape / storgae is then reset for the 8th day (i.e. Mondays tape overwrites the previous Monday, tuesday overwrites the previous Tuesday, etc, etc)

Hope that helps

Thanks for the info. It's interesting to hear. :)

Adam said:
Can't see how you can prove you were being tailgated, do you not have any witnesses? Does he have witnesses to agree with his side of the story?

If you were at fault as result of his actions, but these can't be proved, I would accept blame and learn from it. You need concrete evidence when it comes to insurance companies.

And that's what this thread is all about... my request for video footage to prove I was being tailgated. You've really been enjoying having a go at me these last few days haven't you?

I've asked 3 people to be witnesses, and they've all said they don't want to get involved. I suspect the third party has got several people to act as witnesses (although not independant, it's still going to look bad from my perspective).

MrLOL said:

Cheers for the info, but I'm not claiming for anything. There's no damage to my car. It's the third party claiming off me.

Back
Top Bottom