Worth waiting for 2016 MacBook Pro for USB-C?

TS7

TS7

Soldato
I'm now set on getting my first Mac. I've had iPhones and iPads for years but didn't make the switch from Windows for my computing. After much consideration I've decided on the 15" MacBook Pro.

However here's the tricky situation. I've looked at rumours etc for the 2016 model and nothing sufficiently exciting is rumoured to make me wait until possibly May this year for the new laptop. But there is one thing which has left me unsure; USB-C. I'll keep this laptop for the next 4 years at least. Is USB-C going to be a game changer in next few years or will I not really miss it?

If you were in my situation would you wait 5 months? (Which is when I'm guessing the 2016 MBP will released, based on last year).

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
No USB-C isn't a game changer.

The advice is if you need the laptop now, buy now. I have a 2015 15" rMBP and it's very quick. The spec bumps which will come in the next version will not make certain tasks any faster.

Associate
Skylake - improved performance and battery and graphics Thunderbolt 3.

Overdue a form factor redesign.... some would say.

I'd wait. Maybe only till March.

Soldato
If they can adopt the current Air form factor with a retina screen and still maintain the power and battery life then that would do for me. And if it is USB-C, include more than one bloody port!

Associate
I don't need it as thin as an Air.

I'd just like exceptional performance and battery life (like usual, but even better).

An array of ports, USB-C, USB3 and thunderbolt 3.

And for it to come in space grey :D

Screen res can stay as it is for me, but I guess 4k or something would be nice...

My late 2011 17" MBP is getting a bit long in the tooth now, battery life is appalling since updating to the latest OS.

Soldato
There's never any point in waiting for the next apple product (unless its release is a few days away) as they come so frequently, and usually offer so little over the previous version that it's just not worth it. As said, if you need/want it now, then just buy it now.

My mid 2013 i7 Macbook Air is still going really, really strong, and regularly used for photo/video editing. The cost of upgrading to shave a few seconds off this and that won't be worth it for quite a while yet, unless some groundbreaking performance/form factor technology appears in this years releases.

Soldato
There's never any point in waiting for the next apple product (unless its release is a few days away) as they come so frequently, and usually offer so little over the previous version that it's just not worth it. As said, if you need/want it now, then just buy it now.

My mid 2013 i7 Macbook Air is still going really, really strong, and regularly used for photo/video editing. The cost of upgrading to shave a few seconds off this and that won't be worth it for quite a while yet, unless some groundbreaking performance/form factor technology appears in this years releases.

^ that

I've got the rMBP 13" top spec currently.

Runs everything smoothly without a sweat & very happy about it.

Soldato
If they don't integrate USB 3.1 with a Type-C connector into the new MacBook Pro, then they'd be making a pretty huge mistake.

As people have pointed out even a laptop that is a few years old is holding it's own, and in a few years from now pretty much everything from monitors to external graphics cards, and such will be USB 3.1.

Would I wait? If you are not desperate, I am sure a couple of weeks/months would be worth it in the long term, especially given the investment that is a MacBook Pro if you aren't a professional user, and just want it for everyday computing.

Soldato
No USB-C isn't a game changer.

I would disagree, its a huge game changer. 1 port too rule them all. It better then anything we have right now and by a far margin. I have a 6P and a work mate as a Macbook and I could use his charger, that was just amazing, imagine a world where 1 cable could service all your devices, same cable too connect too any monitor, same cable too charge anything.

CES is pretty good for USB Type-C too. Seen some monitors out that support it natively (Which means if your laptop has the support it can charger your machine and do video at the same time).

However if you need a laptop right now I wouldn't wait. I fairly confident we will at some point this year see a new rMBP with USB-C. I would also would predict their might be some design changes, with the CPUs we should see a solid decrease in power and that could lead too a laptop with a smaller battery but the same battery life (Don't see them really pushing battery life on the Pro models more then they are now).

TS7

TS7

Soldato
OP
So from January waited for March thinking it'd come out then. Nope, so waited til June. But now rumours surfacing the release may actually be Q4 Sept/Oct time! I really really hope this isn't the case.

Soldato
Yeah its been awhile, lucky for me my current machine is fine just ram limited for the most part. Some people are saying that Q4 means Q4 for apple which is around summer.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I'm looking forward to getting the new rMBP as long as they don't gimp it like they have done with some of their other laptops. The current rMBP is about as thin on ports as I would like already and I don't want to have to buy a £200 "dock" to get all the ports my laptop currently has because apple have shaved 2mm off the height of it.

The rMBP is already an amazing machine (got 2013 version) and it runs everything I throw at it perfectly but I wouldn't mind a faster processor and 16/32gb RAM.

Soldato
Yeah I have a 2013 13" rMBP, only really need more ram, but I might go with a 15" this time as I do more demanding work and I can see the dual cores straggling a tad.

Also agree I don't really want it much thinner, I wouldn't mind something like the Dell XPS lines where they reduced the foot print of the device by having a edge too edge display, I wouldn't exactly edge too edge but a a lot smaller screen bezel and then you could get a 15" laptop into a 14" body which is nice.

Type-C is the main thing I'm after though, I like the idea off having 1 port that can charge your device, handle all monitors and plugin devices, is reversible and small. I think something like the Chromebook Pixel is nice where it has 1 on either side and they both support charging, something like 1 Type-C pre side, 1 USB pre side, the 1 side with an HDMI and another with SD card reader is a nice balance.

Also handy that Type-C docks are already cheaper then TB ones, and the price will only drop as adoption increases. I actually like the idea of having a dock at home where I can just plug in 1 cable, right now I have a Mini DP, power, headphone too plug, and at work its 2 mini DP.

Associate
I'm looking forward to what the new models include but I'm always hesitant on 'Rev A' versions of a completely new remodel.

Thinking back to the 2012 rMBP....display ghosting issues, display delamination issues, GPU burn outs.

Back
Top Bottom