Installation of an electric shower

Associate
So our electric shower has died and I'm thinking about installing the new one myself as its a reasonably simple job to do.

Is it OK for me go ahead and install it or do I need to get a qualified tradesman?

Soldato
I've changed ours at home before. It went fine, just make sure you isolate the power first.

You aren't messing with the original wiring and earthing, so I don't see any problems.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the conformation guys.

Yeah i've located the isolation for both the electric and the water. Thats pretty straight forward.
Only problem I can see is that the wiring is exiting from a different place through the wall when comparing to the new shower and there is no slack so I might have to extend and route that properly.

I've done loads of plumbing DIY stuff before and the electrics are pretty straight forward so i'm quite confident. If there is an issue the isolation's are there so I can
always call out a professional to fix it.

Last edited:
Soldato
What KwH is the old shower and what is the new shower?
What diameter is the electric cable for the shower?

If the shower is 8.5KwH or higher then ensure the cable is 10mm diameter.

We recently swapped our shower from a 7.5 to an 8.5 and had to change the cable from a 6mm one to a 10mm one.

Soldato
Thanks for the conformation.

Yeah i've located the isolation for both the electric and the water. Thats pretty straight forward.
Only problem I can see is that the wiring is exiting from a different place through the wall and there is no slack so I might have to extend and route that properly.

Are you able to source an identical replacement?

Associate
OP
Hi I will check the cable diameter when I get home.
I think its a 10 diameter cable from memory.

The old shower was 8kw and the new is 9.5kw.

I am unable to find a like for like replacement as my old one is ancient.

Associate
If going up in KW I would seriously recommend you getting a sparky to do this, they will check cable and fuse rating etc

Associate
OP
Hi guys,

The wire is 14mm diameter and the fuse is a Wylex NSB40 rated for 40 Amps.

The box for the shower says 9.8 kW (9.0kW 230v).

I think the fuse might be at the limits but the wire should be ok?

I think i'm chickening out and will get a sparky to do it if the fuse needs to be changed.

Associate
OP
Yeah just realised I did the measurement wrong you cant just measure with a ruler. I'll see if I can find any print on the cable. Its been painted over.

If not a sparky is definitely going to be needed.

Associate
I may be wrong but if the appliance is located in a bathroom zone. Which as its a shower is likely then it is notifiable under building regs if you replace. You can call the council building control for free advise.

For the cost of getting it done right in an area where it will get wet pay the professional. Its not going to be expensive.

Associate
OP
I have a set of calipers but i'm going to see if I can get into the loft tomorrow so see if I can find some print on the wire.

If not I'll see if I can measure the each strand with the calipers but that will have to be at the weekend.

Associate
I have a set of calipers but i'm going to see if I can get into the loft tomorrow so see if I can find some print on the wire.

If not I'll see if I can measure the each strand with the calipers but that will have to be at the weekend.

Can you take a photo of the cable, with a reference point. Most sparks can just look at a cable and tell what size it is.

Soldato
With it being in Zone 1,
If it's like for like, my interpretation is that it is non notifiable work, due to maintenance. If however you are changing the load of the circuit, which is an alteration, then it is.

For your reference:
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/br_pdf_ad_p_2013.pdf

You are correct technically as this isn't a like for like swap it is part p notifiable, personally I wouldn't have a problem doing it if it was really straightforward but as your getting into lengthening cables and your unsure of the size of the current cable I'd call a pro to be sure. It's unlikely but Under spec cabling could burn your house down!

Back
Top Bottom