Looking For A Decent 2K Monitor - Any Suggestions?

Associate
Hello fellow overclockers,

I have been using the same standard crappy acer 1080p monitor ever since I built my rig. I feel like I have put off upgrading it for long enough. Can you make any recommendations?

I am looking for a 2K monitor, I know that much, but I don't have a clue where to start in regards to the different brands and models.

I believe the general consensus is that IPS is the better panel type, but is it worth the large price premium over TN? Are there any other alternatives worth considering?

Ideally I would want something that goes above 60hz to give me the option of running a higher refresh rate if I upgrade my graphics in the future.

Gsync/freesync would be a bonus (currently on green team), but again are they worth the price premium?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Soldato
Just gone from a Dell U2414H (1080p60 ips) to a U2515H (1440p60 ips) that should arrive any day now. Cost me around £264. While not strictly a gaming monitor it is fantastic value.

I wanted something with g-sync and 144hz but the AU Optronics panels in the Acer and Asus panels (xb271hu and pg279q) often come with quality control issues (unless you get lucky) such as bad light bleed etc. In fact I did try one xb271hu before sending it back. Just not good enough for a £600+ monitor.

You could have course go for a TN such as the Dell S2716DG but I just couldn't use a TN after using quality IPS panels for the past few years. Although the TN on these is apparently better than most others. These aren't cheap either though at around £500 when not on sale.

My plan is to use the U2515 until better quality G-Sync 1440p/4k high refresh rate IPS panels hit the market.

You'll love the U2515, it's a superb monitor for the money and is a great stopgap wombat toy wait for a more solid 144Hz+ alternative.

Associate
OP
No, you're not looking for a '2K' monitor. https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=29222155&postcount=4

What GPU are you using and which games do you play? If you're looking for something that will give you a bit of headroom for the future then something like the Dell S2716DG should be carefully considered.

Eh you knew what I meant, thanks for the correction. I've currently got a GTX 970, but may add another one if the prices go down any further. I play a wide variety of games, mainly RPGs but some shooters.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will look into it.

Soldato
Eh you knew what I meant, thanks for the correction. I've currently got a GTX 970, but may add another one if the prices go down any further. I play a wide variety of games, mainly RPGs but some shooters.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will look into it.

I did know what you meant, but it really irks me when people make this mistake. And it's a common mistake. If nobody corrects them, they'll keep on making this mistake or spreading the virus as I like to say. Don't feel bad about it - you're now better than them. :D

Given the price and the sorts of games you mainly play, the Dell U2515H or AOC Q2577PWQ would be very good for you I feel.

Associate
OP
I did know what you meant, but it really irks me when people make this mistake. And it's a common mistake. If nobody corrects them, they'll keep on making this mistake or spreading the virus as I like to say. Don't feel bad about it - you're now better than them. :D

Given the price and the sorts of games you mainly play, the Dell U2515H or AOC Q2577PWQ would be very good for you I feel.

Thanks so much for the positive response :D

Is there any big reason to go for the U2515H over the AOC Q2577PWQ? The AOC is ~£40 cheaper.

Soldato
Thanks so much for the positive response :D

Is there any big reason to go for the U2515H over the AOC Q2577PWQ? The AOC is ~£40 cheaper.

The Dell has marginally lower input lag (~14ms vs ~18ms) which most users will be unable to notice. It also has better gamma tracking for those after accurate colour representation. The AOC adds a little bit of extra depth (not much) to some shades, which I feel works nicely for gaming and general usage anyway. I've got a detailed review of the Q2577PWQ on my website which I'm not sure you've read yet (see my signature).

Associate
OP
The Dell has marginally lower input lag (~14ms vs ~18ms) which most users will be unable to notice. It also has better gamma tracking for those after accurate colour representation. The AOC adds a little bit of extra depth (not much) to some shades, which I feel works nicely for gaming and general usage anyway. I've got a detailed review of the Q2577PWQ on my website which I'm not sure you've read yet (see my signature).

Great website, very useful and detailed reviews. Looks like I will be going for the AOC Q2577PWQ, thanks for all the help, really appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom