• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone disappointed that AMD has only released the 480 and nothing bigger?

Caporegime
A bit of a rant thread but I am sure I am not alone in the thread title way of thinking.

As you may or may not know, I have a GTX 1080 and I have purchased a RX 480 that will be here tomorrow but I was hoping there was going to be a card on the horizon that would beat the 1080 or match it. I am being a bit disingenuous, as I really wanted a GPU that I could run a specific game, record gameplay and then do the same on the rival GPU, so from my selfish POV, I am really disappointed but I can't imagine I am alone. I imagine a few AMD fans are the same as well and would like a decently fast GPU to upgrade for or am I just looking at it wrong?

Yes, I know Vega is coming but so are other GPUs.

Soldato
Am gutted in away, that am due upgrade. Hoping 480 aftermarket edition push core clock quite high so performance is better. I'll be happy with 480 performance if it can beat 980 in most titles.. Or its looking like am stuck with 290 for little longer.

My other option is buy furyx second hand to tide me over but I don't want another 4Gb card.

Associate
Agree, they should have done as nvidia and released a faster card with gddr5x. Its obvious the reason there is no faster amd card and no titan x successor is due to hbm2 not being ready for volume produciton yet.

Soldato
Yes, as I would have liked to have switched back to AMD, but I also wanted a decent upgrade over my 780. But the 480 is a decent card and releasing in a market sector where potential sales are far bigger. I understand why AMD are focusing on that first. They need to grow their userbase and engender the same kind of rabid, fanatical brand loyalty that Nvidia enjoy.

I'm hopeful that Vega will deliver something to challenge at the high end. If it does, I'll happily sell my 1070 and buy one.

Soldato
Yes, I can't see how the 480 is going to claw them any market share back when nVidia have the 1080, 1070 and soon to be 1060.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if nVidia sell as many 1080's as AMD do 480's.

Seriously? The highend market is weak compared to medium range. 1080 nor 1070 will never sell more than the 480, 1060 if priced right will have more chance.

The 480 selling well with bring amd the biggest part of the GPU market, highend isn't that.

Soldato
I'm disappointed with both nvidia and amd. Nvidia for not bringing out a 1080ti and amd for not releasing their top end gpu. On the flip side there aren't any game releases I want to play till the end of the year so as long as it happens by then all is good.

Caporegime
I was hoping that their first release would be one of the faster cards, yes, so therefore at least a noticeable gain could be had for those coming from more recent products like the 290 / 390 cards (especially since we are on a new fabrication process as well). However, that said, 'that' level of performance will turn up a little further down the line, 'tis all.

Soldato
A bit of a rant thread but I am sure I am not alone in the thread title way of thinking.

As you may or may not know, I have a GTX 1080 and I have purchased a RX 480 that will be here tomorrow but I was hoping there was going to be a card on the horizon that would beat the 1080 or match it. I am being a bit disingenuous, as I really wanted a GPU that I could run a specific game, record gameplay and then do the same on the rival GPU, so from my selfish POV, I am really disappointed but I can't imagine I am alone. I imagine a few AMD fans are the same as well and would like a decently fast GPU to upgrade for or am I just looking at it wrong?

They have been releasing GPU's to combat Nvidia at the high and mid range for years and look where they are now. All that people were hoping for was that AMD would release cards to go against the 1080/1070 so they could buy the Nvidia cards for cheaper.

Something had to change, so they decided to go for mainstream and entry level first. It might work, it might not work. Won't know until later. Selling a 1000 cards in one day on Ocuk is a pretty good start.

It will be interesting to see what they do next.

Caporegime
Yes, I can't see how the 480 is going to claw them any market share back when nVidia have the 1080, 1070 and soon to be 1060.

That would be because you have exactly no idea what you're talking about. AMD would have sold several times as many RX480's yesterday than Nvidia has sold 1080's to date.... but whatever.

As for greg, another I'm so unbiased but here's a nonsensical pop at AMD thread, quell surprise.

Here's a hint, 7970 v 680, 5870 vs 480, 8800 vs 2900xt. AMD and Nvidia are not bestest buds, they don't get together and decide on a joint release date for 3 years later for their cards. They release cards at different times, the number of times they bring out the same market segment card within the same month is extremely low. Sales happen over the year, not a month, not a day. Why haven't Nvidia released a 1060 or 1050 yet, zomg, so disappointed. Was there a single hint this wasn't the case? Did we know know Polaris was lower midrange and low end and Vega was upper midrange and high end, did we not know that a minimum of 6 months ago but realistically more like a year ago but a day after release you became disappointed that a card you knew wasn't launching yesterday is still not available?

Also for that matter we can see the massive supply issues with the 1080/70, there are only rumours that 1060 will launch soon and along with those rumours are also suggestions it will be little more than another paper launch to attempt to delay RX480 sales rather than being a large volume release.

By lets say January, Nvidia may have sold 100k 1080/1070, AMD could have sold 300k Vega and 5million Polaris cards(excluding consoles, which afaik August brings the Xbox S one, not sure about Neo, end of year?). Being first and without much volume means a lot for enthusiasts, me included, but in terms of profit, market share, etc, means very little if you aren't launching with large volume. AMD had more RX480s available for sale yesterday than Nvidia has had since launch, by a margin, and that is simply getting the shipments out and excludes shipments to OEMs. This is a card designed more for OEM sales than enthusiast/upgraders where 1080/1070 at those prices is the opposite, a very low volume OEM product.

A year from now AMD and Nvidia will have cards for 4 segments out, they'll come out in a different order and take 6-12 months to get all those cards out but they'll be out. Then in most cases each card will be on sale for 12-24 months before being replaced, again in a staggered fashion, one at a time.

Soldato

Lol, you have no clue about what you are trying to talk about.

NVidia have all but rushed the 1070/1080 out the door to beat AMD to market, which they did, but they have done that on the back of next to no supply - with retailers counting in low double figures the amount of stock they are getting from each AIB, if any at all..

It wouldn't surprise me if AMD sell in their first week more 480's than what NVidia has sold 1070's/1080's since release.

Associate

but you bought the 1080? surely we knew from over a month ago that AMD would not be doing 1080 performance or even close to it. so you should have bought the 1070 if you where to have any chance of your hopes not being completely smashed. lol

Caporegime
I understand why AMD have gone after some mainstream cards first but I think the execution is a failure on several fronts. looks like the 1060 will be with us very soon, Nvidia may well do a paper launch to block 480 sales, so it not like AMD have a market segment to themselves. AMD have the same competition as before in the mainstream but are no where to be seen in the high end. That wont gain any market share in the slightest, only loose the high end entirely to Nvidia who sit there with no competition and can enjoy great margins.

The 480 also really needed to perform better than it does to take significant margin from Nvidia. NV just have to lower 970 and 90 prices by $20-30 and they have cards with equal and better performance at equal power draw for equal or less money.

AMD should have also provided some strong hints about any future high end/vega and an approximate release date in order to curb 1070/1080 sales. If AMD demonstrated a 490/Bega11 type card in a closed bpx and said they are aiming for October release then some people would hold out at least. instead we just have the official original date of Q1-Q2 2017. Not many people will wait until then for a 1080 competitor, and those that do will find the 1080ti released.

Furthermore, this is where the lack luster 480 performance comes back to bite them. It isn't giving much confidence for Vega. Nvidia have an 80% performance per watt lead over Polaris. It is hard to imagine Vega will close that gap sufficiently.

AMD's best bet is if the 1060 is delayed but that is also hard to imagine. Nvidia have shown die shots to the public ages ago, and have been shipping GP106 based Drive PX2 to auto partners for months.

Caporegime
Im disappointed that i havn't got a faster single card than the Furys to go to yet from em, but i can understand where they are coming from, thats where the market is, thats where they'll get the sales to start taking marketshare back, they'll not do it where i am, so....., and thats what they need to do.

Last edited:
Soldato
Wish they'd release some higher end GPU as well, but actually excited about the 480 once it gets AIB, the reference one is solid enough, so it can only get better.

Back
Top Bottom