What should I test drive so that I know what I want?

Caporegime
E; Drunken thread, please take with a pinch of salt... :p

Hoping to put my legacy to bed and buy a "proper" car soon... The only problem is, I like a wide range of cars and I am not 100% sure what I want.

I really like 350Z's so would like to give one of those a test drive, however I also like the B6 S4 for totally different reasons so I am going to test drive one of those too.

But then I also want to test drive a Clio 200 because I like the idea of being in a hot supermini, and I want to see how it feels...

The list of other things I have seriously considered is ridiculous.

What 'key' cars of different types do you recommend I give a go so I can finally decide what I want to do..?? :)

Budget will be around the 7K mark. Fuel economy shouldn't be an issue. Won't be for a little while but I want to explore my options so I'm prepared when the time comes! :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
I imagine the Z4 would be 'similar' to the 350Z and the 335i 'similar' to the S4, so if for example I really adore the 350Z, I could go and test drive a Z4, and S2000, etc, and if I really adore the S4, I can go an test drive a 335i, and some other 'hot' saloons. :)

I have considered both of those options, the issue with the Z4 is that I don't really want a convertible and the coupe hard-tops go out of my budget, and the 335i while I like it, it just doesn't seem 'special'. I know the likes of Fox will argue that the S4 isn't special either if that is the case, but how many S4's do you see? Plus I can fulfil my V8 fantasy... haha

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Megane R26, like a Clio but better.

Another one I have considered, however I'm for some reason not drawn to your usual hot hatches. The EP3, R26, ST etc don't appeal to me as much as they once did. Perhaps I should give one a go though... While my old CTS gave me a taste for the speed, it didn't give me a taste for the chassis dynamics of a well sorted hot hatch.

The idea of test driving a Clio 200 came from how tiny and nimble and chuck-able and manoeuvrable my old Polo was, I like the idea of having all that while having a well sorted chassis and a pokey engine at the same time... I initially started this train of thought by looking at Polo GTI's, but quickly realised that the RS200/197 was a better way to get bang for buck if looking at that route! :)

I should add that engine note is a very important factor for me... Which is why I have paid particular attention to the V8 S4, the 350Z, as well as things like the R32 with flapper mod when delving into mid-size hot hatches. Everyone keeps telling me to get a Mazda3 MPS, and I LOVE them, but the engine tone leaves a lot to be desired... It sounds half way between a 'boring' L4 and a boxer 4 (because of the header design), and I'm not a fan of the boxer 4 noise at all.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
An S4? Or a 7k 335? Seriously? After the almost non stop disaster that has been Acme motoring since he passed his test you need to spend a few years before you start buying things like that IMHO. Otherwise the disaster stakes just keep rising.

You'll ignore this im sure but don't run before you can walk.

Man of Honour
Enjoy the Skoda for a few years, get some experience and a stable job then get yourself something good and enjoy it more. It's far better that way.

Caporegime
OP
You make good sense. However I'm wondering how much effort it took to type "enjoy" the Skoda for a few years... :D

Enjoying the Skoda will be difficult. The Polo was more fun to drive than this thing. At least it presented a challenge through being so slow. The Skoda could almost induce a coma with its level of engagement...

There are only two ways to feel when driving it depending on how fast you go. Bored, or terrified. :rolleyes:

I made the thread in the spur of the moment after a few drinks, impulsiveness is a very dangerous trait of mine as I have demonstrated on more than one occasion... Though it would be good to make the thread pointed in any case... What other cars should I seriously consider 'whenever' is an appropriate time for me to look? :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Isn't the b6 s4 the one where it's an engine out job to do the cambelt or timing chain? Can't remember what they have. I considered one but decided not to because of something like that. Thought they were rather cheap for a reason.

Caporegime
You never fail to deliver Acme.

Here, buy this. Massive V8, needs a bit of work so you have something to do, I'm sure you can pick up a few spares for the remaining grand and a half, and you'll look well wikkid driving it.

Add some lows for extra Grudas point and you're sorted!

Last edited:
Soldato
Oh an acme thread. Whats point as youll not listen to anyone, you know you wont listen to anyone.

Regardless of that. 350z. 270bhp on tap, a decent built interior, solid cars and nice to look at as long as you get adecent colour.

Back
Top Bottom