The be quiet! MEGA competition!

Soldato
Received a slip from post office today, not expecting anything else so must be it. Hopefully pick it up tomorrow and take my system apart and rebuild it with the BeQuiet within next few days.

Soldato
Yup that was it. Some pics:

6R4KD2G.jpg

WPhavFK.jpg

rN7dIPJ.jpg

nrCpMmx.jpg

y4Mx68v.jpg

FmuNTam.jpg

jyMpVzm.jpg

The ring is orange, the flash makes it appear a bit yellow in the pics.

Going to install it and play with it today.

Installed:

DzFGcwN.jpg

UMLWr76.jpg

MUpnoZn.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Received my unit yesterday and goodie bag today so many thanks guys, appreciated.

Will install this on weekend and sort a review early next week.

Ciao for now.

Soldato
Review sent in. I really like it, can't fault it anywhere else but the warranty. If it had 5 years warranty it would pick itself in many specs, at the current price, as it would then have everything (quiet, good looks, performance, modularity and a warranty that would attract those seeking reliability). If you're a buyer and come across it, you're likely to think "ooo this looks tasty," but then you'll check the warranty and think "hmm hang on, is there something else that is as good but with more warranty?". If I were BeQuiet, I'd want to avoid that and increase the warranty so the deal is clinched right there. Bam.

Thank you again, 5UB.

Last edited:
Associate
Thank you again for the chance to review for Overclockers UK. I did not have that much time and I just finished the review, sorry for the delay. I posted it in the shop and I will post it now also in the forum under the psu section :)

Associate
Review sent in. I really like it, can't fault it anywhere else but the warranty. If it had 5 years warranty it would pick itself in many specs, at the current price, as it would then have everything (quiet, good looks, performance, modularity and a warranty that would attract those seeking reliability). If you're a buyer and come across it, you're likely to think "ooo this looks tasty," but then you'll check the warranty and think "hmm hang on, is there something else that is as good but with more warranty?". If I were BeQuiet, I'd want to avoid that and increase the warranty so the deal is clinched right there. Bam.

Thank you again, 5UB.

The part with the warranty is true. I will avoid brands that have 2 years warranty from now on since I had again a problem with hardware shorty after the warranty ran out even if I did not use the hardware a lot. 3 years warranty is kinda good but 5 years or more are great and makes much trust for the product. If you know that you have good quality products there is no problem to give minimum 3 years warranty or even more for more expensive products.

Soldato
Copy of my posted site review. A longer evaluation will follow.

To begin, I will declare an interest, the be quiet Pure Power 9 500w 80+ was supplied from OCUK as a test item for review and these are my impressions from a short period of testing.

The unit looks impressive and is the same size as my Seasonic x650 gold. It is a part modular PSU with the two 12V cables fixed into the unit and sheathed with black plastic plug terminations. The cable lengths are adequate for a midi case although to hide the 8 pin cable, it may require extending to go behind the motherboard.

Three modular drive cables are supplied and these will accommodate SATA drives, at least two per cable and also have a standard molex (HDD) or floppy drive power connector on each cable. These cables are flat ribbon style and are flexible enough for awkward routings and close spaced drives.
Two modular PCIe 6+2 cables are supplied which allow one or two GPU's to be powered depending on their requirements. This PSU is aimed at the single GPU market in my opinion mainly due to the headline rating however two low TDP cards may be possible.

In use the PSU is fairly impressive due to not being audible above the background noise from slow spinning case fans. I have no disk noise as all are SSD in my case.

The testing system is an AMD FX9590 CPU and an AMD HD7870 GHz edition GPU neither of which are in the low power category. The most onerous test I have carried out previously on my Seasonic x650 was using 'Luxmark' on both the CPU and GPU which delivered 460w at the wall or probably 370w in the PSU.

The be quiet Pure Power 9 500w silver was able to complete this test albeit with some ramping up of the fan noise. This was not unpleasant, just an audible hum and whoosh. No whining coils or squeals as may be expected at high loads.

In summary: It looks nice and would complement an orange scheme with the bezel around the fan although this would be hidden with the fan pointing down. It performs well at close to its rated capacity, is not obtrusive. The cables are long enough and can be hidden with some thought and planning.

I would recommend it for the majority of users who do not massively overclock and have AMD or Intel single GPU requirements.

Soldato
@ Nkata

Nice review. Just one thing:

On my first quick count I also thought it had at least 2 x SATA on each cable, with one of them having 3 x SATA, but then during the installing I needed 7 x SATA for everything (4 drives, AIO pump, case leds, DVD drive) and realized that one of the cables actually had just the 1 x SATA along with 2 x Molex.

See if you have the same, please?

And what would be best to be able to connect my DVD drive? Molex-to-SATA or a SATA splitter? I'm thinking the latter because Molex may not allow it to conserve power? Or is it irrelevant once it goes through the SATA?

Soldato
On my first quick count I also thought it had at least 2 x SATA on each cable, with one of them having 3 x SATA, but then during the installing I needed 7 x SATA for everything (4 drives, AIO pump, case leds, DVD drive) and realized that one of the cables actually had just the 1 x SATA along with 2 x Molex.

I have the 500W, that's how it is.

1 cable with 3 sata
1 cable with 2 sata and a molex
1 cable with 2 molex and an sata connector.

Cables are printed on the back of the box, showing what's supposed to be in there and shows the same.

Soldato
@ Nkata

Nice review. Just one thing:

And what would be best to be able to connect my DVD drive? Molex-to-SATA or a SATA splitter? I'm thinking the latter because Molex may not allow it to conserve power? Or is it irrelevant once it goes through the SATA?

Must admit I am only using two cables, 3 x SSD, 1 x DVD. All fans are using either the mobo connection directly or the CPU connection with a PWM fan splitter powered from a molex.

Not sure on the second question, I would probably use a splitter to connect the power to two drives from a single SATA. This should provide what you need. However working from a Molex will probably do the same thing.

Thanks for the comment.

Soldato
Must admit I am only using two cables, 3 x SSD, 1 x DVD. All fans are using either the mobo connection directly or the CPU connection with a PWM fan splitter powered from a molex.

Not sure on the second question, I would probably use a splitter to connect the power to two drives from a single SATA. This should provide what you need. However working from a Molex will probably do the same thing.

Thanks for the comment.

Alright cheers, will probably go for splitter then.

Soldato
Looking forward to installing my 500 on the weekend. Already have some initial impressions penned but will submit a proper review once complete.

Back
Top Bottom