Want to add my own cable to my Sky dish LNB

Soldato
We have a quad LNB on our dish with sky+ HD downstairs and sky+ upstairs. It use to be normal sky box upstairs until I got this box from a friend so it only has the one dish input, how hard is it to add a new cable to the LNB?
I did have a quick gander and it just appears to screw in and then you run it to the new box, any precautions I need to take?

Dont really want to pay sky just to come and fit 1 poxy cable and have them charge me about £50 for it :o

Soldato
As RB says, it's as easy as you describe. You may need to get a long masonary drill if you plan on putting a new hole through the wall, and also a cable protector for covering the cable where it goes through the wall (so it doesn't chafe the covering off) and also buy a few cable pins for tacking it to the wall outside. I got mine from http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/easier.htm to do the upstairs room and also to run it to the garage for my home gym. I bought:

20m Best cable WF100 cut £12
2 x Flexible Rubber boot for LNB connector £0.75
1 x Box of 100 7mm black clips to secure cable to wall £2.95
4 x Threaded F plug £0.80
2 x Internal wall grommet for 10mm hole £0.50

Total of about £16.50

Associate
If you're drilling a hole through the wall AFAIK you need to drill it at a slight angle so that any water ingress will run out of it and you need a drip loop on the cable (make sure it goes down past the hole and then back up before entering).

Soldato
OP
Well hole s already in the wall so hopefully its big enough for another cable :D

kefkef thats damn cheap was looking on ******s and they charge £22 for 20m! Ill order it now I think so I can get the Sky+ working properly :)

Soldato
As RB says, it's as easy as you describe. You may need to get a long masonary drill if you plan on putting a new hole through the wall, and also a cable protector for covering the cable where it goes through the wall (so it doesn't chafe the covering off) and also buy a few cable pins for tacking it to the wall outside. I got mine from http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/easier.htm to do the upstairs room and also to run it to the garage for my home gym. I bought:

20m Best cable WF100 cut £12
2 x Flexible Rubber boot for LNB connector £0.75
1 x Box of 100 7mm black clips to secure cable to wall £2.95
4 x Threaded F plug £0.80
2 x Internal wall grommet for 10mm hole £0.50

Total of about £16.50

So with that quad LNB can I send a sky signal to another box even though Im only paying for one subscription? Or is that illegal? :p

Ive got 2 sky boxes as it happens!

Associate
the signal would still be encrypted as it goes to the 2nd box, you would still need an activated sky card and subscription to enable the decryption of the channels (sky)

Associate
yeah thats fine although he will have to phone sky up so that he can pair the sky card to the new sky plus box (in order to get the record function working), doesnt cost anything to do this

Soldato
OP
Already got the card paired to the box just lacking the extra dish input so I can record one thing and turn over :)

Cheaper than getting sky to do it! Shouldnt take long to do either, stuff got sent out today so hopefully here for tomorrow woop

Back
Top Bottom